Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

nightime city pics

Hello , first off , I am sure this question has popped up alot around here . I have been having trouble with downtown building shots , the lights always seem a little blurred . I am usually shooting in a dark valley towards the lighted city . Is there a simple setup for settings that I am missing ? I have a Canon rebel xs

Thanks

Re: nightime city pics

Using a good, solid tripod? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Shoot in Manual mode, as a starting point shoot one stop under exposed. Shoot with the lowest ISO setting. If AF doesn't work us manual focus.
    I will also second OldClicker sais, use a good tripod.

Talking Re: nightime city pics

I agree with all the above, and would like to add that you might want to use a cable release or the digital equiv. this would eleminate camera shake from pressing the shutter button.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    I agree with all the above, and would like to add that you might want to use a cable release or the digital equiv. this would eleminate camera shake from pressing the shutter button.
    You will have the lens fully opened, and you will have DOF problems. So a tripod is in order along with smaller F stops and longer times. Note with the smaller F stops camera shake is not a problem.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for the replies . I do own a tripod but the problem is I do most shooting while riding my mountain bike so a big tripod is out of the question .I do have a small tripod I take with me sometimes so I`ll see what I can do.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

ive found that as long as the ground you're putting the tripod on is stable and your camera isn't too heavy, even a pocket tripod does a good job with this stuff.

Why not get some hardware and put a camera mount on your bike? Then your bike becomes the tripod. Check out GorillaPod. It turns just about anything with a Tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Shoot in Manual mode, as a starting point shoot one stop under exposed. Shoot with the lowest ISO setting. If AF doesn't work us manual focus.
    I will also second OldClicker sais, use a good tripod.

I'm new to dslr's so please excuse the lack of knowledge but you said shoot one stop under exposed, how do I find the propper exposure?

What kind of camera do you have? When you look through your viewfinder there should be a exposure compensation meter with a zero in the center and -1 on one side and +1 on the other. You will have to be in a programmable mode, meaning P mode or manual.The 0 center mark is what the camera's metering system considers a correct exposure. As I stated I like to start at -1 for night shots. A recent shoot of the Space Needle here in Seattle I was helping a nice Lady learn her new camera. The first shot is what the camera said was correct, the lights are really blown out(bright) along with it looks bad . The second shot is If I recall right is -1 1/3rd stop under exposed and it looks better.
    Here is a link to a pretty neat simulation you can play with and then go out with your camera and do the same.
    http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html

I hope this helps out let me know , Jimmy B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nightime city pics-jdb_8746_1.jpg   nightime city pics-jdb_8744_1.jpg  

I have a Nikon D90 and a D3000. I those shots did you use the flash? When I am in program auto mode my meter doesnt come on until I pop up the flash. How do I get a readin if the flash is down? Should the flash be down? I would think its not needed because its so far away.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

flash should not be used. Most of your subjects will be so far away it would not make sense to use flash, especially not the built-in one.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You can turn the flash off. If it won't meter in program auto then go to manual.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadracer041
    I have a Nikon D90 and a D3000. I those shots did you use the flash? When I am in program auto mode my meter doesnt come on until I pop up the flash. How do I get a readin if the flash is down? Should the flash be down? I would think its not needed because its so far away.
    If you use manual, aperture or shutter priority modes the camera will meter correctly, unless you have an older lens, then you need a light meter.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Bracketing is always a good idea, shooting at -1,0, +1 will give you three shots of differing light that can land the right exposure. But definitely, a tripod. Blur often comes from camera shake at night. And if you don't have a cable, there's always the self timer ...

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    If you use manual, aperture or shutter priority modes the camera will meter correctly, unless you have an older lens, then you need a light meter.

Works in Manual and shutter priority but not aperture priority....weird?

Your D90 will meter correctly in P,S,A,and M modes You use the thumb wheel to change the shutter speed and the finger wheel on the front to change the F stop. If you are taking a night shot and have the shutter speed set to high the F stop will not be able to change the light enough to make the meter change and make it look like it is not working. The F stop and shutter have to work together and if one of them is set too far to one extreme it will make it look like changing the opposite setting is not working.

Try setting your shutter speed at about 1/2 sec and then move the Fstop to a small number and you will see it move the light meter. You could also do it the other way around and set the F stop first and then start slowing down the shutter until you see the meter start moving. The light meter on the D90 WILL WORK in ALL FOUR MODES, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Your D90 will meter correctly in P,S,A,and M modes You use the thumb wheel to change the shutter speed and the finger wheel on the front to change the F stop. If you are taking a night shot and have the shutter speed set to high the F stop will not be able to change the light enough to make the meter change and make it look like it is not working. The F stop and shutter have to work together and if one of them is set too far to one extreme it will make it look like changing the opposite setting is not working.

Try setting your shutter speed at about 1/2 sec and then move the Fstop to a small number and you will see it move the light meter. You could also do it the other way around and set the F stop first and then start slowing down the shutter until you see the meter start moving. The light meter on the D90 WILL WORK in ALL FOUR MODES, Jeff

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Thread Information