Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

newbie questions

I have the opportunity to buy a camera (up to $250) and am looking at the Fuji FinePix F20or F30.
    1. What does video speed 30fps (F20) or 10fps (F30) mean?
    2. shutter response of 2.2 frames/sec(F20) vs. .7 frames/sec (F30) (I'm an amateur photog, mostly sightseeing & hanging with friends/family usage)
    3. shutter speed 4-1/2000 (F20) vs. 15-1/2000 sec (F30)
    4. should I be considering other brands? (or will just get myself crazy with more options)
    5. my sister has 2 1GB xD memory cards she can give me for these cameras, or should I go with a camera that uses sD cards?

Thanks for all the help,
    Margie

Re: newbie questions

fps = frames per second. The higher the number the more frames captured per second and the smoother the video playback will be (it's made up of a series of still images). Higher fps will take more memory based on the same size of the image though.

Videos are usually captured at smaller sizes (maybe 640 x 480 pixels) than still images because of the high fps rate. The other rate (2.2 vs. 0.7) would be at a higher and probably maximum resolution. Neither of these is very fast, actually, and you'll still have better luck timing your shot carefully if something is moving fast. Easier said than done though.

The shutter speed difference is at the long exposure end - I think that's 15 seconds vs. 4 seconds. You'd need a tripod or some other sturdy support or you'll have blurry images below about 1/30 anyway. This might not be a big deal either.

SD cards are no better than any other format. They're just physically different in size than other formats. XD cards are a little more expensive but all memory cards are much cheaper than they were even a year ago. If you have more than one camera it's handy to have them both use the same type of cards, but nothing to worry about other than that.

Don't think you are going to get great videos out of a camera or great pictures out of a camcorder. I would make up my mind which on was most important and consentrate on that. Even if I had to buy both...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Question Re: newbie questions

Have a question for the community - anyone out there use Giottos MT 8170 tripod legs
    with a Markins 10 ballhead? If anyone has, do you know if a Wimberley Sidekick
    works with a Markins ballhead?

Thanks for the help

Dee

Not sure on that but you'll get a better response if you start a new thread with that question.

Most tripod legs connect to heads with a 3/8-16 thread (3/8") which is larger than the 1/4" used to connect directly to the camera body.

Hi Margie,
    If it's not too late - why not consider the Fuji S5200...
    You'll love the 10x zoom on it!
    I shoot low light shows with it too.
    Around the same price range - and once you go to 10x zoom you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!
    www.betterphoto.com?ddkphotos
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Thread Information