Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need some web site advice

I was thinking of coming up with a website name that when you clicked on it you would be automatically linked to my site at Smugmug where you could look at my pictures and order if you wanted to and they would handle the printing and shipping. Are there any reasons to not try it this way and can this be done? Any ideas, suggestions or information that would help me with this will be greatly appreciated, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Need some web site advice

There are a couple of ways you can do this. you have to register a domain name eg "Grandpawphoto.com" and there are thousands of companies that will do this for you for a very small cost. You have to point that domain name at a spot on the internet. You can do that by telling them to point to your smugmug site, or you could buy some web hosting (usually sold with a domain name registration but it doesn't need to be) and put some code on your website that automatically redirects you to the smugmug site. The advantages to the latter are that you could use this space as online file storage in the interim and possibly build your own site so that you can free yourself of smugmug down the track. The disavantage is that it costs a little more and some web browsers block sites that automatically redirect you (as this is often a spam / virus trick) I guess with the first option you might have to shop around for a domain registrar that will let you do that and also confirm that it doesn't breach smugmug's terms and conditions. (my domain registrar is australia lets me do this but only for sites that are already hosted with them), so we have www.maristoz.edu.au as our website and we are setting up a sub organisation that will use the name ams so we have registered www.ams.asn.au but if you go to that site you will find that at the moment it automatically points to www.maristoz.edu.au and this is done at the domain registrar level. When we get the ams website finalised we will have it pointing to that site but at the moment it is a way of "reserving the site" whilst pointing to its parent body.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

i used bluehost.com to register my domain name (it was free with my hosting) and i also use them for hosting. they have very good customer service. they linked my valeriemorrisonphotography.com account to my smugmug account.

zenfolio.com is cheaper though, by 50 bucks.

i haven't sold one thing through smugmug, but through word of mouth and showing my portofolio. i'm thnking of moving to zenfolio because it's cheaper. the option to buy my stuff online will still be out there and i'll save 50. i just don't want to move all the prints over to zenfolio.

imagekind is another option - i think you may be able to use your own domain name, not sure. i use them too, but the free version. they offer very nice custom framing.

as for a name, i would go with your name ______photography.com or as mentioned: Grandpawphoto.com

if you want to host your own site, there'a a place - can't think of the name - that will provide a shopping cart script for you. you just embedd it into the header of your site/blog ie. wordpress or whatever you're using. under each photo it would have a buy this print link.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

Or... if you are at least a "Power User" subscriber to SmugMug, they
    will do it all for you once you obtain your URL name. They recommend
    GoDaddy for getting the name registered, but I don't think that's a
    requirement. Then, on your SmugMug site, you simply "hook" the URL
    name to your photo site. I thought about this myself. The drawback I
    see is that your "website" becomes simply a photo site, which is fine
    if that's all you want from the web site.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thanks, Skyman, NaturalWomen, and Rocket Scientist for helping me out. So far I do have the domain name and it is linked to a Smugmug account and I am working on a trial site at Smugmug to see if that will give me what I am looking for. As soon as I get some pictures up and going I will post the link here so I can get some feedback. If anyone else has suggestions or ideas please post them., the more information I get the better my site will be. This is something totally new to me so this will probably be an ongoing project for a while. I would just like to add that anytime I ask for help and you spend the time and effort to help me out it is very much appreciated and never just expected because I ask on the forums. It is very nice to have friends and members that are willing to help when the need arises. Thanks again for your time and helpful responses, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information