Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need some ideas! Got any suggestions

I am taking a photography class at the local college and we drew pieces of paper with words on them and have to come up with a picture that illustrates the word. Well, with just about everyone else in class I immediately had what I thought were great ideas. When I drew my words out they were 'ROUGH" and "HANDY". I need some ideas that will illustrate each of these words..... Got any ideas? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Need some ideas! Got any suggestions

Sounds like a fun project. The first thing that came to mind when I saw rough was the texture of the bark of a tree. Second was a washboardy road. Is washboardy a word? Anyway, you know what I mean. Anything with a lot of texture would work. I'm thinking of a peice of sand paper with a very shallow depth of field. Depending on your you want to interpret the word, you could take a photo of a dog that's barking. Ruff ruff.

Handy could be a shot of some tools, or of someone fixing something. Not real creative ideas, but you could get creative with the images.

Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Second was a washboardy road.
    That would do it - maybe down low and/or laying down on the road (of course with someone keeping an eye on traffic for you!) with a long lens. That'll really make it look rough! It would be great to come up with a shot that illustrates both of those words but I'm not sure what subject would do that...

So far for the word "HANDY" I thought I would get my parents 85 & 87 yrs old to stop the car and have my dad looking under the hood while my mom is calling for help on her HANDY cell phone. The shot would show them beside the road with no other cars as far as you could see in the picture.

AS for "ROUGH" I plan on going with my son out in the woods with a small mirror in hand with a pan of water beside him and have him trying to shave with a hatchet, ROUGHING IT!

Another idea for "ROUGH"
    If I could find someone changing a babies diaper and have the babies bottom showing with the mom having a corncob in her hand in the picture.

I would like to have several ideas for each and several shots of each idea to choose from. Any and all ideas are welcome, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you want funny. How about a picture of a toilet with a roll of sand paper instead of toilet paper, now that's ROUGH.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I thought calling a cellphone a handy was only a German expression.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Rough and handy.....old hands sewing, carving whatever
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

For rough - how about a down and out in his environment while sleeping?

For Handy - I remember seeing a hand cleaner in the US called handy - that was back in the 80's though.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Michael beat me to an idea but I'll expand. How about a dog with his paw in the forground on a piece of sand paper - as if to say "Rough Rough"

I would like to thank everyone for giving me suggestions for my class project. The picture I came up with and that I am going to use for "ROUGH" is here....

College class photo assignment

I should have posted it here but posted it in the Viewfinder forum. I will post my pictures here when I get the other one taken. Thanks again , Jeff

you posted that first photo, but here goes anyway

Well usually whenever you get a theme, this is how I go about it:

1- Look up the theme (usually a word) in the dictionary. Then following that, i go into the thesaurus and see all variations... if you're fast at this, you should get a lot of understanding from the word.

2- Look for phonetic variations as well word creations (i.e. Rough = Ruff or Handy as in hand-y = containing hands)

Once you do that, chances are, you will be able to see it all around you and come up with as many ideas as you like.
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

The first thing that came to my mind were a Mechanics hands, or Brick Layers hands. I mean they would be rough as well as handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    The first thing that came to my mind were a Mechanics hands, or Brick Layers hands. I mean they would be rough as well as handy.
    Thats very good. I like the incorporating of both words into one image. It covers it and is clever.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information