Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Need Help Using Ilford Delta 3200

I finally got my new camera and lens and want to shoot some b&w film. Having never used Delta 3200 (aka - Charles Hess) I wanted to know the characteristics of the film.

What speed do you shoot it at? What directions do you give to the lab?

The problem with my camera is that it only goes up to ASA 1600. I am imagining that I could always do -1 stop exposure compensation to adjust the film speed, but is this necessary? Somewhere, I thought that you typically shoot this film at 1600, and process normally.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Half of one, six a dozen of the other...

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I finally got my new camera and lens and want to shoot some b&w film. Having never used Delta 3200 (aka - Charles Hess) I wanted to know the characteristics of the film.

What speed do you shoot it at? What directions do you give to the lab?

The problem with my camera is that it only goes up to ASA 1600. I am imagining that I could always do -1 stop exposure compensation to adjust the film speed, but is this necessary? Somewhere, I thought that you typically shoot this film at 1600, and process normally.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Loren
    Loren,

With many bw films, this being one of them, being able to shoot at the highest ISO is simply a metering aspect. IOW, when a certain aperture or shutter speed is important, and you want the meter reading to fall within a range that can be set on the camera.

The one stop difference between 3200 and 1600 with a film as good as this is going to be very small. In fact, I'd be surprised if the negative density difference between the two would be that noticable. Both would certainly be equally printable...

Anyway, as you point out, it's pretty common to pull this film one stop anyway. So, whatever you decide to do; whether meter at 1600 then compensate by shooting one stop under, or meter and shoot at 1600 and have your lab pull process it one stop, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

[Anyway, as you point out, it's pretty common to pull this film one stop anyway. So, whatever you decide to do; whether meter at 1600 then compensate by shooting one stop under, or meter and shoot at 1600 and have your lab pull process it one stop, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results...[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Steve.
    I would rather not pay the lab to pull the film so knowing that I can just underexpose by a stop and process normally is very cool and affordable.

Thank you for taking the time.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Delta 3200

Hi Loren...I usually shoot Delta 3200 at 1600. My pro lab in Philly processes Delta at 1600, so they process it as normal. Another pro lab in town actually uses ISO1250 as "normal" for the Delta 3200. 1600 gives you some decent speed and good grain. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    [Anyway, as you point out, it's pretty common to pull this film one stop anyway. So, whatever you decide to do; whether meter at 1600 then compensate by shooting one stop under, or meter and shoot at 1600 and have your lab pull process it one stop, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results...
    Thanks Steve.
    I would rather not pay the lab to pull the film so knowing that I can just underexpose by a stop and process normally is very cool and affordable.

Thank you for taking the time.

Loren[/QUOTE]

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb well......

i do believe that delta 3200 is actually a iso 1600 film that you PUSH to 3200

and you should always check the box on the film canister to what ISO you shot at(in 35mm that is) so the lab has no excuse
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Charles/Paul

I'm currently shooting one roll at asa 3200 and see how my lab processes it without any pull/push instructions. I'm curious to see the results and should find out in a couple of days.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Thread Information