Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need Help On Manfrotto 222 Head QR Plate

I have a different Manfrotto 222 Ball Head. It does not accept the regular rectangular QR Plate, but instead it accepts a small square plate with a long rectrangular top contact face (the surface that touches the camera bottom). What is this called, what part number? I need to order a few.
    Thanks!

Re: Need Help On Manfrotto 222 Head QR Plate

It is a Manfrotto quick release mounting plate. You can get one here, Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-200P.../ref=de_a_smtd
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that! But sadly, that is the standard rectangular one. The one I am looking for is different. It has a square socket plate, that is... you can mount the plate even at right angles an it's still OK because the plate socket is square.
    It looks like this... (the QR plate on a monopod head, this time)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Enlarge the product photo and take a look at it again. It is square and is the plate that is for the R222. Look at this chart that shows which plate goes with the head you have. The one you need is the 200PL-14 and this is it.

Look here... http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Ma...k_Releases.htm

I just happen to have this head myself, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

that's one of the the PITAs of Manfrotto heads. Bogen/Manfrotto has had many many different types of QR systems and many many different types of plates. Arca Swiss is the best way to go, they fit everything in the system and there are many manufacturers of the plates and heads.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    that's one of the the PITAs of Manfrotto heads. Bogen/Manfrotto has had many many different types of QR systems and many many different types of plates. Arca Swiss is the best way to go, they fit everything in the system and there are many manufacturers of the plates and heads.
    All 'Arca Swiss compatible' does not fit other 'Arca Swiss compatible'. My Wimberley Sidekick does not fit on a Giottos MH-657 quick release.

Even Arca Swiss itself now has two different sizes.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Enlarge the product photo and take a look at it again. It is square and is the plate that is for the R222. Look at this chart that shows which plate goes with the head you have. The one you need is the 200PL-14 and this is it.

Look here... http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Ma...k_Releases.htm

I just happen to have this head myself, Jeff
    Thank you so much, Jeff.
    This QR plate is getting to be more mysterious by the minute! LOL!
    Here is the image of the plate.... Cheers!
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...IMG_7522Xs.jpg

OK you have me there, but I'd be willing to bet the Wimberly has no chance of fitting on any Manfrotto QR system, and I'd also be will to bet it will fit on all Arca Swiss compatible QR systems.

I don't know much about Giottos, but from what I've read, they are compatible if you remove the safety feature from the clamp. I have seen the Giottos system listed two ways, "Arca Swiss type", and "Arca Swiss compatible", I am thinking the former is the true description, and some copy writers took some liberties. I couldn't find any information on the Giottos site.

The basics of the AS system is the same across the board. A 1.5" dovetail that fits all clamps made by Wimberly, Arca Swiss, RRS, Kirk, Acratech, and many many smaller companies that make clamps and plates, just take a look at eBay. And as far as I know, Arca makes several sizes of balls and heads, but only one size QR clamp.

I have been though Manfrotto, Giottos, Markins, Acratech, Generic Arca, RSS, and Kirk clamps. The clamps and plates that always work are Arca Swiss compatible, and I've had 0 problems finding them. Many many companies carry them, manufacture them, and sell them. They are on eBay all of the time. When I use them I trust them implicitly: the camera body never twists, the lens never twists, and the dovetail holds like it's welded there. Arca Swiss clamps and plates flat work, and are completely trustworthy, and I have never had trouble finding them. Sure they are a little more expensive, but if you shop carefully they aren't that expensive and the increased piece of mind is worth the price to me.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

"OK you have me there, but I'd be willing to bet the Wimberly has no chance of fitting on any Manfrotto QR system..."

You got that right.

"I don't know much about Giottos, but from what I've read, they are compatible if you remove the safety feature from the clamp."

You do have to remove the safety pin, but it still will not fit between the clamp. I was (obviously or I wouldn't have bought it) quite surprised.

"The basics of the AS system is the same across the board. A 1.5" dovetail that fits all clamps made by Wimberly, Arca Swiss, RRS, Kirk, Acratech, and many many smaller companies that make clamps and plates, just take a look at eBay. And as far as I know, Arca makes several sizes of balls and heads, but only one size QR clamp."

I'm quite sure they now have a smaller (narrower) one. I'll see if I can find it. Difficult since they don't even have a web sight.

"I have been though Manfrotto, Giottos, Markins, Acratech, Generic Arca, RSS, and Kirk clamps. The clamps and plates that always work are Arca Swiss compatible, and I've had 0 problems finding them. Many many companies carry them, manufacture them, and sell them. They are on eBay all of the time. When I use them I trust them implicitly: the camera body never twists, the lens never twists, and the dovetail holds like it's welded there. Arca Swiss clamps and plates flat work, and are completely trustworthy, and I have never had trouble finding them. Sure they are a little more expensive, but if you shop carefully they aren't that expensive and the increased piece of mind is worth the price to me."

I'm currently switching. That's how I ran into this problem.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Have I stumbled upon a Manfrotto PROTOTYPE or something? Because the 222 head is also different!
    The release latch is on the side, the deck is bigger and wider, it is made in Italy, and the red part is ala James Bond release button for the lock on the latch!
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...IMG_7528Xs.jpg

Here is a drawing og the new style. Though it doesn't give the dimension, it clearly is not 1 1/2" (38mm). I think it is 33mm. - TF

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/s35zdbs...ot-X-1-26-Quot
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Reiss
    Have I stumbled upon a Manfrotto PROTOTYPE or something? Because the 222 head is also different!
    The release latch is on the side, the deck is bigger and wider, it is made in Italy, and the red part is ala James Bond release button for the lock on the latch!
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...IMG_7528Xs.jpg
    I also have one of these and the 200PL does fit, but only in one direction (90 deg to your picture, I think). I have also bought knock off plates on eBay that do have a square base. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Here is a drawing og the new style. Though it doesn't give the dimension, it clearly is not 1 1/2" (38mm). I think it is 33mm. - TF

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/s35zdbs...ot-X-1-26-Quot

My bad I missed a 2 in there, and that's a bit of a guess, I don't have any equipment on the road with me, and I can't measure it. I think it's about 1.25 or 1.26" or so. Finding this dimension is nearly impossible, I've looked, but I believe that's because they are all the same.

Switching to Arca Swiss compatible equipment is one of the best things I have done. Like I said the stuff just flat works. I have found a little difference in the angle of the dovetail or width, but I have yet to find one that won't work together with other Arca Swiss compatible components.

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    My bad I missed a 2 in there, and that's a bit of a guess, I don't have any equipment on the road with me, and I can't measure it. I think it's about 1.25 or 1.26" or so. Finding this dimension is nearly impossible, I've looked, but I believe that's because they are all the same.

Switching to Arca Swiss compatible equipment is one of the best things I have done. Like I said the stuff just flat works. I have found a little difference in the angle of the dovetail or width, but I have yet to find one that won't work together with other Arca Swiss compatible components.
    You were right - the standard Arca swiss plate is 1 1/2" (38mm). The one I limked to is the new one. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I also have one of these and the 200PL does fit, but only in one direction (90 deg to your picture, I think). I have also bought knock off plates on eBay that do have a square base. - TF
    Thanks heaps!
    Yes, the NEW (latest) QR Plates DO fit! (The ones that have thinner thickness on on side).
    I had lots of OLD plates that could not fit because they were all the same thickness.
    Thanks everyone for your kind help and great solutions!
    Best of everything to all!

Thread Information