Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need extra memory for vacation pictures

It has been discussed about purchasing extra memory for vacation shots so you don't run out of memory before you run out of vacation but this might be something to consider. I have two one gig cards for my camera but could not find one recently before going on vacation. So instead of purchasing more memory I just dropped by the local Wal-Mart when my card started getting full and for $3.00 dropped all my pictures on a CD in the photo department. Ten minutes later I had a clear card for picture taking and had all my previously taken pictures safely on a disk.

This not only gave me more memory it removed the pictures out of the camera where the could be accidentally erased or lost. Also if you have a portable DVD player or laptop you can view your pictures and see what you have just in case some need to be retaken.

This has probably already been discussed but I did a search and didn't find anything except about purchasing new memory cards. I do realize that everyone that reads these forums may not have Wal-Mart stores where they are but for the ones that do it sure is a nice option, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Need extra memory for vacation pictures

The only caveat to this is the photos on the CD may be of a lower quality than what was originally on the memory disk.

But for vacation snaps that you are going to have printed a 4x6 or so, it won't matter at all.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Most photo stores in the UK offer this, and most one-hour developing outlets.
    Plus we have CostCo in the UK too, another place to go...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Shouldn't Be

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlord
    The only caveat to this is the photos on the CD may be of a lower quality than what was originally on the memory disk.
    The images shouldn't be lower quality. I don't see why Wal-Mart would do anythinge besides copy the image files to the CD or DVD.

Another option is to go to an Internet cafe and burn the images to a CD yourself.

Personally, I'd rather have more memory. But I can shoot a couple of gigs on a hike. And I take my laptop on every trip.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Shouldn't Be

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The images shouldn't be lower quality. I don't see why Wal-Mart would do anything besides copy the image files to the CD or DVD.

Another option is to go to an Internet cafe and burn the images to a CD yourself.

Personally, I'd rather have more memory. But I can shoot a couple of gigs on a hike. And I take my laptop on every trip.
    After reading the replies I came back and checked the file size. I have a 8 meg pic camera and the original file was 2.5mb and the files on the CD from Wal-Mart are 1.76mb. I don't know if they cut them all down or just if they are over a certain size. I ask the lady at Wal-Mart before I put them on the CD and she said they would stay the same but as was pointed out earlier they are smaller. I still think this is a good thing to do if you need memory for the average picture taker, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Usually when you copy or move the file from one media to another, the file size won't change. This could be a hard drive, flash drive, CD, memory card, etc. I'm wondering if their system opened the actual image files and resaved them. Since you have jpeg files on the CD (assumed) there is some loss that comes with re-saving the file. The way to be sure is to check the pixel dimensions against the original file - it might be 3000x2400 or something like that. Still, 1.76mb is a pretty decent file to work with for a lot of situations.

I'd probably want to make sure that the CD worked before I re-formatted the card - errors are always possible. Good idea but I do like the internet cafe idea because this way you can check the CD yourself right after burning it. Kinkos has PC's for rent too.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Usually when you copy or move the file from one media to another, the file size won't change. This could be a hard drive, flash drive, CD, memory card, etc. I'm wondering if their system opened the actual image files and resaved them. Since you have jpeg files on the CD (assumed) there is some loss that comes with re-saving the file. The way to be sure is to check the pixel dimensions against the original file - it might be 3000x2400 or something like that. Still, 1.76mb is a pretty decent file to work with for a lot of situations.

I'd probably want to make sure that the CD worked before I re-formatted the card - errors are always possible. Good idea but I do like the internet cafe idea because this way you can check the CD yourself right after burning it. Kinkos has PC's for rent too.
    They are 3264x2448 on my SD card or on the CD from Wal-mart. They are both the same.

I would like to add that after getting the CD made I put it into the machine and looked at all the pictures using the CD with the SD card removed and verified that the pictures were all on the CD before erasing my card, Jeff
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 11-27-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    They are 3264x2448 on my SD card or on the CD from Wal-mart. They are both the same.

I would like to add that after getting the CD made I put it into the machine and looked at all the pictures using the CD with the SD card removed and verified that the pictures were all on the CD before erasing my card, Jeff

Yeah, they compressed the image format to 70%. I dont know why they do it, they'd make more money selling more CDs if they left the image uncompressed.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

For me I wouldn't trust CD's so I have a stack of 1Gb CF cards which are very reliable.

I download the lot when I get home.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Also if you have a portable DVD player or laptop you can...
    If you have your laptop, can't you burn the CD yourself? All it takes is a CD Burner (most laptops come with those) and a card reader. I recently bought a combination card reader and USB hub for less than $30. They are worth the money, if you have a laptop to take with you. As far as trusting CDs, if you have a reliable laptop, I'd certainly trust them long enough to get home from vacation.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

512mb SD Cards are hovering around <$10 recently and 1gb <$15, I've seen a lot of 2gb SD cards for <$25, Slightly more for Sony's Memory Stick and I've even seen some good deals on CF cards.

Buy.com, when coupled with google checkout and rebates is a great source for camera memory.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Hey I just noticed something about the CD

I just descovered that the Wal-mart CD has two sets of prints on it. One set is 3264x2448 and the other set is 640x480.

Just so everyone knows I do have two one gig cards but could not find one of them when we were ready to go on vacation. I have missed placed one of my camera bags that has it. So much of our stuff is in my storage shed 1300sq ft or my woodworking shop 1000sq ft both at my house. Our things are all out of place because we are remodeling the entire house due to Hurricane Katrina. I have plenty of memory unless I get real carried away taking video with my camera.

I was mainly mentioning the Wal-Mart option as a back up in case some of the folks hadn't thought of it. As far as the laptop or DVD player I don't have either one. If I had a laptop that would have been my first choice, Jeff

Take a back up ,film, camera with a few rolls of film. I also keep most of my pictures on thumb drives. But that would mean taking a laptop...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Okay Guys I just purchased a new Sony Alpha A100- and also go hicking and hunting, and on softball tournys for multilple days, so what was i to do. I looked into taking my laptop with me, all the options that you have mentioned. Then I found this http://www.hypershop.com/shop/index.php
    I researched this, and this is what is coming in the mail in a few weeks(atleast after i buy everyone elses chritsmas) for anyone that is having the memory card blues check this out i think the cost of the unit will pay for itself on the long trips.

Thread Information