Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    I Climb Rocks

My attempt wit long exposures!

Well here is the deal. I went last night to try to do some timed exposures. By my house there is a tunnel that is about 100 feet long that goes through a local canyon. They built the tunnel instead of blasting away the hill side. Anyway, i just want to know if what i tried is going to work. I still haven't developed for that specific reason.
    So here is what i did.

The first shot i took was directed right into the tunnel, with only the cars coming from behind me could be seen. With my Canon FTB and my standard 50mm lens, I put my aperature at f22, and i put on my ND2x filter and shot for about thrirty seconds. The rest of the shots followed the same curriculum. Do you think what i did is going to work out to look real nice?

Thanks for any help!
    Devin
    I felt I had to do something, So i walked and...

Re: My attempt wit long exposures!

Can't tell from the info that you give us - it would depend on how you metered the shot, what kind of film, etc. Generally print handles overexposure pretty well (up to two stops or maybe three) but doesn't handle underexposure well; you've got less than a stop that direction before the prints will become grainy.

Get the film processed and see how it looks. Try to remember how you metered which is at least as important as the aperture and shutter speed used. If your results are consistently under or overexposed then try again using that information to help base your new exposures. A spot meter may be the biggest help - next to practice, that is!

I usually use slide film for stuff like this - you may want to try that so that you know what you're getting (rather than have the lab decide...) and bracket a lot. Try bracketing a couple of stops either direction; there isn't necessarily any right or wrong exposure with this.

Thread Information