Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Mpix.com proof portfolio

I know a few of you here use Mpix.com. I have been very happy with all the prints they have done for me but was wondering about the proof portfolios. All the formats listed are a square set up but it notes they are scaled to size. I am looking for someting that would make a good wedding proof album that would inclued file names to make ordering reprints easier.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Re: Mpix.com proof portfolio

I've seen a similar product at a different lab. Because they list the file name and can put on a cover which makes it look a little more "finished", I think it's a good option if you're shooting digitally. I wouldn't make the proofs too small though, probably six per page or so.

I'm currently using a traditional 3-ring proof book with 3x5 prints, but my lab recently started doing digital printing for everything (I shoot film for weddings). They can give me a proof book like this along with all of my shots scanned on a CD, but I can't edit anything out for the proof book - I'd have to go home, edit, burn another CD, then make another two trips back there to drop off and pick up. Plus it isn't much less expensive overall. I looked at using Mpix for these proof books (they're cheaper) and might start doing that in the future myself.

I think I am going to upload a few photos from some recient weddings and have one printed. I know cost wise it won't be any cheaper than 4X6 prints but I think having the file name with the photo and not have to remove them from an album might make things nice. I am thinking of offering packages that include the proof book and then and fixed number of 4X6 or 5X7 reprints to be selected by the customer. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I know a couple women at work who have ordered the proof book, for senior portraits. They were pretty happy with it. I was going to order one with my vacation pics in it, but I wanted bigger prints than what they offered in the proof book.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I ordered my proof book Friday and it arrived today. I have to say I am pleased with it overall (I just wish at least the back cover was hard). I am going to show it to the friend whos daughter's wedding I photographed and see what she thinks. I uses the six per page option and think thats about the right amount for me, any more would be to small and four would just end up being too expensive.

Thread Information