Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Memory card Q...

Probably already posted, but anyway...

My Sony A100 (and I think that most DSLR, well, at least those that the guys at the photo store showed me) has a slot for a Compact Flash memory card (the big one). On the camera there is a CF that has slots to add a MemoryStick Duo.

I bought a MemoryStick and I haven't found any flaws on it. But, which is better if/when I buy a new memory card, to buy a CF card, or another MemoryStick Duo? Which are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Why is the standard for DSLR a CF card rather than a SD card, as in in P&S cameras?
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

Re: Memory card Q...

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Probably already posted, but anyway...

My Sony A100 (and I think that most DSLR, well, at least those that the guys at the photo store showed me) has a slot for a Compact Flash memory card (the big one). On the camera there is a CF that has slots to add a MemoryStick Duo.

I bought a MemoryStick and I haven't found any flaws on it. But, which is better if/when I buy a new memory card, to buy a CF card, or another MemoryStick Duo? Which are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Why is the standard for DSLR a CF card rather than a SD card, as in in P&S cameras?
    Compact flash is more popular not that matters much. MemoryStick is only on Sony’s. I would go for whatever gave me the fastest read/write, most storage at the cheapest cost. Without looking I'm guessing that would be compact flash because its not proprietary.

Absolutely - you'll get more storage per dollar with CF than pretty much any other format, especially Memory Stick (based on looking at this over the summer). Most DSLR's use CF but compacts can use any one of several formats. I have an Olympus that uses XD (proprietary) cards that are about the size of your thumbnail and relatively expensive.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I find SD cards worryingly flexible, and they fly beautifully !
    CF are bigger physically, heavier, more sturdy - I have no worries about breaking one.

Biggest problem for me is the SD push and latch mechanism, because the push and unlatch results in a PING and a flying memory card if I am not careful
    I can find a CF card in the grass, but a SD card I wouldn't expect to see again, even with my close up glasses.

From a quick test, my CF card outperforms the SD card in my 1DSmkII so I'll set it to backup medium JPEG on to the SD card and RAW onto the CF.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information