Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Question Lori/Camera shake

I was shooting indoors (bar) last night, some band photos. Just for fun, its a friends band. My problem is I cause the camera shake I shake normally, just a little, (not noticeable) have since I was a child, runs in the family, that being said. Shooting in M or P or TV mode with out a monopod is out of the question so I had to resort to auto. Not happy with that but honestly dont know what else to do. Any ideas for a setting I can try? ( I use a Canon 50D)

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Lori/Camera shake

Have you tried an IS lens?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well, I was hoping for an option other than that lol but I am thinking I will just have to deal with it. I shoot almost everthing outside anyway...just thought I would ask

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I was shooting indoors (bar) last night, some band photos. Just for fun, its a friends band. My problem is I cause the camera shake I shake normally, just a little, (not noticeable) have since I was a child, runs in the family, that being said. Shooting in M or P or TV mode with out a monopod is out of the question so I had to resort to auto. Not happy with that but honestly dont know what else to do. Any ideas for a setting I can try? ( I use a Canon 50D)
    I'm missing something. Why does Auto help with camera shake? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

-----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The mode won't make much difference, just it may automatically select a higher shutter speed, faster ISO and smaller aperture. You could do all that yourself
    How much shake?
    An IS lens won't cope with large amounts, nor will in-body stabilisation.
    At the expense of using the battery fast, the Olympus E-P1 and a Panasonic OIS lens with both in-body and lens stabilisation systems on at once is rock solid. But even that is disturbed by hand movements.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

A prime like the nifty fifty 50mm f1.8 would be nice. It is slightly telephoto so it gets you more into the action.

Push the ISO right up (3200 or 6400 ISO). Better to have a photo that is sharp with some noise than a blurred photo.

Try to find something solid that you can use to support the camera (examples: the bar, even a wall). You don't hold the camera normally - you press it firmly against the support while looking through the viewfinder as best you can. If possible you use a bean nag which will further support the camera. When you shoot you keep the camera still and just move your finger on the shutter button

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What settings was the camera choosing? Seems like whenever I use auto, it likes to keep the shutter speed around 1/60. Shooting in low light, like a band in a bar, there is no way 1/60 is going to freeze the action no matter how steady you are if the people are moving at all. I would think that shooting in any of the modes you mentioned would be better than auto. At least you can choose your own shutter speed with those modes, except for Tv. If you use Tv, set your aperture wide open to get the fastest ss.

The situation you described sounds to me more like a low light freeze the action kind of a problem, not a camera shake thing.

If a monopod is out of the question, you could always rest the camera on something else. A table, chair or the bar could work. Lean against the wall or something else to help steady yourself.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    Get a faster lens. A Canon 50mm F1.4 lens (F1.8 is cheaper) will give the faster lens not for a lot of cash also. A nice benefit of the 50mm lens is the effective angle of view is close to 75-80mm lenght which was used for portraits with 35mm film cameras. Also in a club it will give you a little more working range. But you will have to watch your DOF.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

You are all right, I didnt explain myself very well. Auto doesnt "help" with it, but I get blur shooting in low light (like the bar), because I shake, not really the camera. Thank you all for helping me with this! I think I will stick to racing lol OC thanks for those links, I like the second one!

Lor11, I don't know what you use to process your images, but it is my understanding the Photoshop Elements can remove a certain amount of blur. I am not sure if every edition of PSE, e.g., 3,4,5... can remove blur, but I believe that Versions 6, 7 and 8 have some limited capacity to do this. There may be other Editing packages out there that can help, but I am not familiar with them. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    BTW - I like this idea. I've never tried it but I will soon..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks WG, I have a few programs that I could try but honestly, I just dont think it can be fixed lol
    Im use to shooting moving things so that could be the other problem ha! Y'all are great, thank you!

Thread Information