Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    n8

lens took a spill, possible problems and cost?

My nikon 18-200 decided to take a 3 foot drop on some concrete today. Yeah, ouch. Thankfully, all the optics seem to be ok, it zooms fine, and it also seem to focus ok...manually anyway. Exposure works fine as well. However, auto focus and VR are null and void. No clicks, no wuuur's, might as well be non-existent. From what I know, it will cost me $100 just to send it to Nikon from my local shop to get serviced, with $XXX on top of that to fix it. I'm hoping this is just a busted solder point or something since two components are shot and it seems like they're just not getting the message. Any thoughts or advice?
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: lens took a spill, possible problems and cost?

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    My nikon 18-200 decided to take a 3 foot drop on some concrete today. Yeah, ouch. Thankfully, all the optics seem to be ok, it zooms fine, and it also seem to focus ok...manually anyway. Exposure works fine as well. However, auto focus and VR are null and void. No clicks, no wuuur's, might as well be non-existent. From what I know, it will cost me $100 just to send it to Nikon from my local shop to get serviced, with $XXX on top of that to fix it. I'm hoping this is just a busted solder point or something since two components are shot and it seems like they're just not getting the message. Any thoughts or advice?
    I did a quick search and came up with this, Jeff
    https://www.precisioncamera.com/onecart.php

This one says fixed right the first time or it is free.
    http://www.unitedcamera.com/
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n8

I found the same...may go with the first. I'm naturally a bit skeptical, but it would certainly be the cheapest option I'm sure.
    mostly Nikon gear

sorry to hear that

I dropped mine from similar height , it was in the pouch provided with the lens and it protected it fine

good luck with the repair

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Took 3 drops onto concrete to break my Canon 70-200, 3rd time was the charm. Lost the diaphragm (almost) and was shooting with random aperture.
    Cost to repair was around £300.

Usually service centres will just replace a module, rather than component level diagnosis. I was lucky that the IS unit was still working and it didn't need that as well !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    Why use the store to send it to Nikon service? The shipping is not $100! it's more like $20. Call the Nikon service center, there is one in CA and NY area if I remember correctly. The service center will tell you how much the repair should be also, they may even have a flat rate.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

n8

I was told that there was a $100 estimate fee...just checking my options. I'm sure I'll be going manual for a while as it (shouldn't) be a priority to get it fixed. Who know's, maybe it will be good practice for me.
    mostly Nikon gear

Thread Information