Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Medium Format Confusion

I have been looking semi-seriously at a medium format system. 6x6 preferably. Rb67 seems a little heavy for what it is, and all the other brands need batteries. Is there a medium format system, besides Hasselblad and Kiev, that doesn't use batteries? I don't what to be out in the field and suddenly have a non functioning camera. Or if batteries are it, then what is the most robust of all the systems? Cameras I have been looking at, Bronica SQ series, Mamiya RB67. Thanks for the help.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Re: Medium Format Confusion

I've been looking at MF as well
    If you are looking at 6x6, then the mamiya aint the choice, since its 6x7.
    I guess you could look at some TLRs. Most of these are 6x6. Rollei is supposed to have some of the best out there in the TLR world. Problem is that its a fixed focal length and cant do any closeups at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    I've been looking at MF as well
    If you are looking at 6x6, then the mamiya aint the choice, since its 6x7.
    I guess you could look at some TLRs. Most of these are 6x6. Rollei is supposed to have some of the best out there in the TLR world. Problem is that its a fixed focal length and cant do any closeups at all.
    Besides, the RB67 weighs 6 lbs ! ! I do not want to carry that around.

Actually, I already use a TLR. Not as good as a Rollei, but good enough. I am looking for something that can be portable (TLRs can be portable I know), and not too bulky. I like the looks of the Bronica SQ so far. 6x6, not too expensive, and so on. Kiev's are unreliable, and inconsistant in operation. You take a chance when you buy one so I gather. Kiev is out of the question.

I don't want 6x4.5 because I feel that that is a misuse of medium format's capabilities. Hope you have more luck than I am having.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

kiev may have unreliable cameras, but many people really enjoy their prisms because they are so much cheaper. That Bronica looks like a viable option. I was initially looking at a Hassy 503 for myself, but Bronica doesnt look too bad of an option either. They look exactly like hassies for a fraction of the price. Problem right now with Bronica is the lack of support due the discontinuing of their entire medium format line. Even that one listed in the official website will be wiped out soon. If it ever breaks down, spare parts may be a problem for you. What you can also do is get an older 500C. A full set at KEH costs about 700 for bargain rating. I'm not sure what your budget is, but this one could work

learning member

Drew, if TLR's arent out of the question, Mamiya C330's might be worth a look. I don't know if they have a battery, but i beleive they take 3 lenses and focous fairly close, are reliable workhorses, and cheap!
    Recently I bought a pentax 6x7 complete outfit w/ lens meter & handle for $542 from Keh.
    If you really want portable check out the mamiya 6x6 Rangefinder. Dont know about batteries.
    Mark.

Mamiya 6, rangefinder mentioned, is a fine camera and has some of the best optics around. But I've read that Mamiya no longer carries some of the spare parts. If your's breaks down then it's tough luck I guess. Here is a link to some cameras

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/026e.shtml

Thread Information