Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

Question Lara......please help!

Hi Lara,

I'm having a major computer problem - along with an aol problem (not related). I can't get into the computer forum here to get help. It doesn't recognize my screen name, password or email address so I can't post. I'm on my laptop now (slow), so please let me know how to get this resolved.

You have my email address. My VERY old - 2 years ago - email address was SW432 @ aol.. I don't know why I'm logged in on PR - and got over there through the link from here, but the info didn't go with it.

My problem in a nutshell: whenever I download "updates" from Microsoft for WinXP, my pc gives me a problem. This time it's a major problem. So I need some answers. I tried reversing the download and it worked somewhat. But I'd like to get some help over there. Thanks.

Aol problem...too. What else is new? I can't get on at all on my office pc.

Liz

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 08-12-2004 at 05:30 AM. Reason: tyyyypppoooo

Liz, I have to take my Mom to the hospital for tests, but will fix your computing review issue as soon as I get back. At the moment, I don't see the name "Liz" listed as a member. Did you register under that name or a different one? In any case, I'll get you all fixed asap. No worries.

Computing Review would have a seperate login/registration. Each CR site does.
    You may not be registered under the new VBulletin forums in computing.

Edit:
    Okay Liz, I'm back. I don't see you listed in Computing Review's database. So I am thinking you registered or posted there BEFORE VBulletin. Is that correct? If so, just go on over to computing review and register. You can use the same name and password or different ones, what ever you would like. Let me know if you have any difficulties. I'll make it work for you.
    Lara

Liz

Talking Lara - it's FINALLY resolved..........

Lara,

Thanks for the info - and the quick reply and working on it. Well, I've spent 2 days speaking to 6 aol techs for HOURS. Believe it or not, each of them gave me a different reason why I couldn't get on to aol. Bottom line? It was "on their end." They said aol didn't recognize "my computer." So, out of a clear blue sky - I'm back. Good grief.

I've wasted soooooooooo much time. It's time to say good-bye to aol. Seriously.
    I may go for Verizon.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

BTW - I understand what you said about logging into the computer forum - yes, I was on there before vBulletin. Thanks again.

Liz

Liz, I hope you can change over to DSL. Before I changed to Cable, Verizon was my ISP and I had no complaints. Once you are rid of AOL and 56K, life on the internet will be so much easier. Heck, even changing to Earthlink or another 56K provider has to be better than the torture AOL has put you through!

So called "tech support" from internet providers is often some clueless person sitting at a station with a sheet of paper in hand, reading off in order, "check this", "try this". They don't vary from their script, which is infuriating. Once they go through all the rigmarole, and still haven't fixed the issue, you are bumped to the next level tech. Hopefully this person has a couple more brain cells. I totally understand your frustration. Rant very much understandable!!

LOL now the big laugh. Both my husband and I are in the field of computer technology. I provide tech support to 4 schools, and the town hall. Sometimes it's a nightmare, but we don't read from a form to fix problems. Each issue is treated as unique and important.
    Lara

Liz

Talking Thanks Lara.....

Just one more question/comment - since this is OT for Helpfiles, I'd better get off the online questions. I'll quit after this one!

Lara,
    I'm soooooo technically dumb.
    I think I'd be getting into more difficulties with broadband, DSL, cable, whatever. First of all I couldn't install it myself. Also, we only have one cable company - and they can't even fix the TV cable problems, and don't show up for the appointments. My previous secretary got cable, and it was a nightmare. It was always crashing, and they never could fix it. So, hearing this, it sort of made me glad I still have dial up with all the problems. Anyway, it's very confusing - I don't want to get into more technical situations that I can't resolve.

Liz

Forget about cable for now Liz. DSL goes through your phone line. The phone company would send someone to split your phone line so that you can use the phone and internet seperately. Nothing you need to be concerned about. I recommend you look into DSL through Verizon and see if it is available to you.

If you go to Verizon's web site.
    http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/...ge/default.asp
    Click on learn more. Then Frequently asked questions. Then DSL. Here's a shortcut.
    http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/.../dsl/faqs1.asp
    It should answer your many of questions.
    First, is it available for your phone number?
    Also there is a test you can run to see if your computer meets system requirements.
    http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/...quirements.asp

A few days before Verizon is ready to connect, you would receive an installation package with instructions and a CD for installation. If you have problems, you would be able to call them to help you get connected. If it's not satisfactory to you, there is always the option to cancel.

It may sound confusing, but Verizon's web site is pretty informative.

If you feel overwhelmed by it all, then at least consider changing ISP's to another dial up company and get out of AOL.

Feel free to email me Liz. I'll be happy to explain more.
    Lara

Liz

Cool Thanks again.........

Thanks Lara,

I'll check it out. In 2 weeks I'm going away for a week - so I'll have to wait until then as I have a lot of work to do between now & then and can't take on anything else. But I'll keep this info & look into it when I get back. I agree, Verizon sounds like my best bet at this point.

Liz

Liz,

I have to agree with Lara on this. You aren't as technically challanged as a lot I have seen here in the forums and don't give yourself enough credit.

Get ADSL, you just put a little box on the connection of your phone line, connect everything up and use the CD to install the new modem on your system. It really is relatively straight forward these days with installations, especially if the provider also provides the modem for you. The thing to remember when you are using ADSL, is with other phone connections on the same line, like extra points, you need to have extra filters for those lines as well, otherwise you end up with dropouts caused by the phone being picked up.

The beauty of ADSL is, it is always on if you want it on, switch the box off at night like I do, that way you are protected against DOS attacks, and you can use the phone at the same time, not like dialup problems.

You really need to get off of Dial up and AOL, the time has come.

Once you experience how ADSL works, you won't revert to dialup again unless you really really really have to.

Get a plan that has at minimum 512/128 connection and good limits with no overlimit fees, not sure how it works in the USA, but here, if you don't look at plans correctly, you can end up with large fees for usage, which catches a lot of people out. Personally I have a 512/128 k connection with 12,000 meg of download allowance a month, although I know you can get much better deals in the USA and at substantially lower prices than here.

Liz

Cool Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

It's good to see you around. I haven't been around much - very busy, so I've probably missed anything you may have posted.

I appreciate all this good information. I agree with everything you've said. I printed out and also saved your post and Lara's on my pc. I have to wait for a few weeks as I don't have time to take on a project for a little while.

Thanks again for taking all the time to explain everything so clearly. You're always there with the right answers Peter!

Liz

Thread Information