Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which image size ?

I think I understand a little about shutter speed, F stop,& ISO.

But I'm very confused regarding which image size to use.
    What determines which size is preferred?

Here's a list of available choicesWhich image size ?-fuji-image-size.jpg
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Re: Which image size ?

Image size is a tradeoff with memory capacity mostly. Smaller images take less memory, more pics on a card.

In your case, you have a choice of aspect ratios, too. 4:3 is the old TV standard, also used by PC monitors. 16:9 is the new wide-screen TV and PC-monitor standard. 3:2 comes from film, the ratio of the 35mm film frame size.

A large image can always be resized to a smaller one. It can also be cropped if it contains more than your actual subject, perhaps without losing too much resolution.

A small image cannot be scaled up. You're not going to be making 2-page magazine spreads from 2300-pixels-wide pictures.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Bigger is Better!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thank you, wfooshee AND Frog.

Now if I can learn how to "blow all the bells and ring all the whistles...."
    Oh! and "talk to the animals" (so they will pose for me).
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

I would use the largest size available, in your case 4:3 (L). You can always crop to the format you wish to print of display. You can't go from 16:9 to 4:3 without losing pixel width but 4:3 to 16:9 all you lose is pixel high. Losing pixel width is like using a longer lens.

Be sides if you catch a very good shot you will want the best quality image the more pixels you have the better quality you can get. Also you should set the camera to RAW format if you can, again for the best quality you can get (some cameras do not have RAW format but may have TIFF option for out put).

Note saving in any thing other than JPG will take along more storage space per image. But the prices of SD cards are very cheap now days, I just purchased two 64 Gig SD card for under $50 each, the CF cards that size are still over $300 each
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    I would use the largest size available, in your case 4:3 (L). You can always crop to the format you wish to print of display. You can't go from 16:9 to 4:3 without losing pixel width but 4:3 to 16:9 all you lose is pixel high. Losing pixel width is like using a longer lens.

Be sides if you catch a very good shot you will want the best quality image the more pixels you have the better quality you can get. Also you should set the camera to RAW format if you can, again for the best quality you can get (some cameras do not have RAW format but may have TIFF option for out put).

Note saving in any thing other than JPG will take along more storage space per image. But the prices of SD cards are very cheap now days, I just purchased two 64 Gig SD card for under $50 each, the CF cards that size are still over $300 each
    I believe that the sensor is 3:2 so anything other than 3:2 would be cropped and be less pixels. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    I believe that the sensor is 3:2 so anything other than 3:2 would be cropped and be less pixels. - Terry
    He did send a listed and 4:3 is list at 4608 x 3456 and 3:2 is 4608 x 3072 pixels, so the 3:2 was cropped in the camera. The point is to use the cameras native format, at it's highest resolution, with the camera equivalent raw file format. SD cards are cheap now.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information