Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Polarizer for less than $100

I ask about polarizing filters a while back and got one with the Cokin system and don't like messing with the bracket and filter. The three lenses that I want to be able to use a polarize filter on are these with #1 being the most used and #3 being the least used. All are 77mm.

#1 Sigma 17-50 Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS
    #2 Nikon 70-200VR 2.8
    #3 Sigma 10-20 Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

I reall don't want to spend over $100 on this filter. I am looking for suggestions and ideas again if you could helo me out, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Polarizer for less than $100

I did an ebay search, found a Hoya 77mm in New York for 75 dollars, free shipping. Just a couple weeks ago I bought a Hoya 67mm (fits the Nikon 70-300 VR) for 35 bucks. It arrived in just 3 or 4 days, since it was New York. The overseas vendors would take longer, you end up with customs delays.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm a fan of B+W filters and I see the B&H has a couple for less than $100, but they are not multi coated. I would suggest getting one that is multi-coated. If you upped your budget a bit, you could get a B+W multi-coated filter for $128.

B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter 66-044844 B&H Photo Video

Hoya makes a 77mm CP that is multi-coated for about $85 at B&H. They also make a couple that are less expensive that are not multi-coated. From what I have heard, Hoya is also a good brand.

Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass A77CRPL
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks Walter and Mike for your input, I is much appreciated. I think these things are way over priced but since this will work on all three lenses that I use the most I just upped my budget and ordered this one, Jeff

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...olarizing.html
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information