Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    William W

Question Negative-only Processing Quality Differences

Hello All,

After a posting hiatus of a over a year, I'm back, but with a new name (since I couldn't remember my previous one). It is great to see this group has grown and been so successful in photography education and sharing.

My question is: I just shot a wedding (about 10 rolls) yesterday. I have limited experience with weddings (two small ones), and I live in an area that doesn't offer much by way of quality labs. For the couple, money somewhat is an issue, and I'm doing it for the experience of it. I am wondering if processing of the negatives ONLY would differ much between a local 1-hour mini-lab, a local semi-pro shop I use intermittently and a more pro shop two hours away I wanna try out. Any applicable experiences?

I am thinking of the best route of developing and providing prints, proofs, contacts, or scans from which we can decide upon enlargements and reprints. Obviously handling the negatives to avoid scratching is a difference, but the mini-lab seems to be pretty good about this. I'm avoiding making final prints at this mini-lab because recently they switched to printing all prints with a printer, rather than a light process, and the quality took a big hit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Shoot technical info:
    4 rolls Portra 400NC (most at ceremony) (shot at 320 ISO)
    2 rolls Portra 400UC (some posed shots and some reception/flowers) (at 320 ISO)
    2 rolls NPS (reception with windows) (at 125 ISO)
    2 rolls Ilford Delta 400
    Nikon N90S w/ Nikon SB25 and Nikon 35-70 2.8D
    Nikon FE w/ Vivitar 287HV and Nikon 50 1.8
    81A filter to warm up the flash blues and stained-glass window blues
    Bogen Manfrotto tripod
    2 Motrins
    Last edited by Billiam; 08-01-2004 at 04:58 PM. Reason: change title

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam
    2 Motrins
    Hehe... With the B&W, I have a lab here that will do a contact sheet. Total is $10.50 for processing, contact sheet and clear page that the negs are stored in. They don't do it for color but I'm not sure why not. You wouldn't get any color correction on a contact sheet unless it was dialed in for the whole sheet, of course. I'd probably not want to show someone a contact sheet (or slide with a loupe) that wasn't used to looking at them. People seem to have a hard time with them because they're so used to looking at a 3x5 or 4x6. Maybe you'll sell more prints because of this? On the other hand, that lets them make their own scans from the proofs .

Pro labs are expensive but in a lot of cases (not all) you get what you pay for. If you haven't used a lab before, I probably wouldn't try them out on film from someone's wedding. What if... If you're comfortable with the mini-lab, maybe that's the best bet for the proofs and then go somewhere else for final prints.

I am shooting film and scanning the negatives on my scanner. I oinly get the negs developed , and no cutting. I cut them myself for a six exposure strip. I have had them developed at a pro lab and at drugstores and see no difference other than the fact that I like the clear sleeve the pro lab supplies them in. Pro lab charges me 3.25 for the 36 exp. . . . drugstore charges me 2.75 no big deal. I only like to make sure that the minimum wage student who is working the processing equipment does not touch the film. Sometimes I tell the to just give it to me and I roll it up myself. but if there is a fingerfprint or two, easy to get off with some lens cloth and slight moisture.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information