Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Lightbulb Help! Lens Choice

I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel SLR. This is the only digital SLR in my price range at the moment. My main uses for this camera will be shooting different equestrian sports.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good lens choice for this camera? I want to be able to shoot action such as horses jumping, galloping, etc. Most of the time I cannot get close and have to use a zoom lens, and I do not use a tripod because I am usually moving all the time to different spots. I have looked at several of the Canon lenses, but am not sure what would be best for what I want to do.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Does anyone know of any good websites with information on shooting horses?

Thanks!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Try...

Take a look at the Canon 75-300 IS. Nice range and IS iworks extremely well. Some reviewers don't like this lens but their complaints have never shown up in my images.

If you don't mind big, heavy, and more expensive, the Canon 100-400L IS is also a great choice.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    I second that!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

I agree

100% with Michael's suggestions. I've used the 75-300 IS and it's a nice lens. I still have the 28-135 IS lens which is excellent.

Obviously the 100-400L IS would be the lens of choice - if you can afford it! ;)

However, I think you will be happy with the IS lens.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Take a look at the Canon 75-300 IS. Nice range and IS iworks extremely well. Some reviewers don't like this lens but their complaints have never shown up in my images.

If you don't mind big, heavy, and more expensive, the Canon 100-400L IS is also a great choice.

The Canon 75-300 is an f4.5 lens, ok for outdoor and brightly lit (sunny) day, but I have shot horses indoors where I switch to the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which is great for low light action. The Sigma can be had for $600 if you shop around.

John

Thread Information