Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question How To Do: Close-ups

I started playing with the camera and when trying to take crisp/great close-ups on like flowers, it comes out terrible and blurry.

I tried setting Macro and still no good. I haven't learn the 101 of digital photography.

Help?

I don't know how close-up your close-ups are. If you're trying to get close-ups in the range of 1:1 or greater, the depth of field is so shallow that its hard to focus. Also, with close-ups, camera shake can be a problem, so make sure that your shutter speed is fast enough.

Otherwise, if you're shooting at say 1/2 or 1/3 life size, it should be pretty much the same as general photography.

--Jeff

Close Ups of Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by iKwak
    I started playing with the camera and when trying to take crisp/great close-ups on like flowers, it comes out terrible and blurry.

I tried setting Macro and still no good. I haven't learn the 101 of digital photography.

Help?
    First of all, depth of field becomes critical with close-ups. The smaller the f stop, or aperture, the greater the depth of field...(sharpness). Some flowers can be taken at the closest focus distance of a regular lens or at the closest focus of a telephoto lens with good results. Sprinkling a little water on them can be effective as well as the judicious use of a cross filter. F16 or f 22 with flash can also darken the background and really make the colour of the flowers stand out.

Going in extremely close results in an extremely shallow depth of focus..as in moving the camera ever so slightly can put your image totally out of focus. You may have to change the angle of your shot for better focusing and remember a small aperture is best for maximum depth of field. A flash that can shoot at fractional settings within a colour range automatically is ideal for this kind of work, although since you are working in close, you have to make sure that the flash is pointing at...not over..your subject.

If you are using a compact digital camera, then you have greater depth of field (focus) and your LCD can verify to you what is in focus or not. With a hot shoe, you can add a flash with fractional settings for close-ups. My compact allows me to go macro at the equivalent of 39mm to 115mm. and at 39mm. the depth of field is quite good, if you have an appropriate angle for the shot. The equivalent of 400 ASA without flash or flash with under-exposure and fast shutter speed sync. will give you the opportunity of moving in close without flash overexposure

Ronnoco
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 03-23-2004 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Addition

Thread Information