Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: help deciding

help deciding

Looking for some help from people who have a broader knowledge base than I do on this topic. I'm purchasing my first SLR. I thought I had settled on the Nikon D80+18-200 VR at the price of 1,500.00. Ugh! the price is the hard part. I spoke to my local dealer who suggested that my money would be better spent on 3 different lenses- 18-55+55-200 VR+50MM the total cost of that would be 1,200.00. Then came along an opportunity to buy a Canon Xti rebel- gently used with 2 lenses and full outfit (the lenses are pretty standard and span18-300) with some bonus filter kits extra batteries and flash. Total price 850.00. I would appreciate any input you may have on my best route. I think part of my hesitation when spending this kind of money is that I am just a novice at this. Thanks for your input!

Re: help deciding

I hate to say it but your dealer is WRONG. Those three lenses are decent but no where near as good as the 18-200 and they cover the same range! Why do you want three inferior lenses when you can have ONE high quality lens? I would buy a D80 over an xti any day... the controls are more intuitive and the build quality is tougher. Have you considered a used D200? I snagged one from adorama the other day for $860 in perfect condition and they guaranteed it for six months (I also purchased an extended two year warranty for $30). You could grab that and the 18-200 for the same price. GET THE NIKON. If you were buying a 1D MkIII then I might disagree but otherwise get the D80 or consider a used D200.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

i agree with fx...18-200 is a superior lens
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

I have the Nikon D80 with the Nikon 18-200VR lens and have sold excellent 20x30 prints using this combination, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information