Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help! Baldessa, clueless

I just purchased a Balda Baldessa and haven't the slightest clue how to use it.

There is apparently a built-in light meter but I don't know how to use it or where/what it is. What does a meter do? Does it tell you the correct aperture if you choose a shutter speed or the other way around or neither or what?

Also, knowing that my light meter doesn't work - is it possible to use this camera as a point and shoot? I am using 400 iso film and know nothing of how to use the settings - what aperture and shutter speed are "normal" for regular day light inside a house?

I know this is probably really stupid but I just have no clue and can't find much help reading around the internet.

Thank you

Re: Help! Baldessa, clueless

I shot a roll of 400 film and I used the settings on my digital as a "meter"...no clue if that was a good or bad idea but it's being developed now. I guess if anything came out i;ll be lucky

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Well this is the first time I've heard of a Balda Baldessa but doing a little bit of googling I find it to be a very interesting camera with what appears to be quite a following.

I did find that some use their digital camera as a light meter if the one on the Balda has quit working.
    Also this....... It's a Selenium Solarcell which voltage moves the needle of the meter according to the amount of light on the cell. So no battery needed.

Alas, many of these cells on vintage cameras are not working any more.

For an instruction manual of the Baldessa have a look here :

www.butkus.org/chinon/balda/baldessa/baldes
    sa.htm
    Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

Evidently there should be a needled meter and the needle should move as you adjust the f/stop or shutter speed and probably when it is on 0, then you have the proper combination. That's a guess though and I hope someone else here has experience with it.
    W
    Welcome to the forums and I hope we get to see what you get out of this camera.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Another option is the LightMeter application for the iPhone 3Gs. Take a shot with your iPhone and the Light Meter app will calculate exposure settings for your camera and flash.

You can find all grades of light meters on ebay. But any camera repair shop should be able to fix the meter in the camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information