Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    photofusion007

Question Help with A2 problem please

Hi, I just bought an A2, used only 2x. Just printed first pic this week.

My LCD screen has died 2 days ago. It has a starburst thing in the middle, and some colored horizontal lines on left side. It appears perhaps that somthing may have bumped / impacted screen??

Doesnt look like warranty will cover it, I will assume they will just tell me it is my fault and not fix it even though it is new. Are the LCD screens that fragile? Any ideas on how to fix or deal with this? Any other problem this might be? Im a bit bummed here....

Also a bit disappointed in lag time between pressing shutter and shot taken. Is there a setting I should be using to decrease this lag time? I would like to think I have something set up wrong, it is my first digital camera, am used to my lightning fast Nikon F100. Any tips and help on LCD problem would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, Claire

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It's broke

Quote Originally Posted by claire
    My LCD screen has died 2 days ago. It has a starburst thing in the middle, and some colored horizontal lines on left side. It appears perhaps that somthing may have bumped / impacted screen??
    Sounds like broken to me. LCD screens are made from thin glass. So while they are designed for a tough life, they are not invulnerable. I'd be more than a bit bummed about it.

Also a bit disappointed in lag time between pressing shutter and shot taken. Is there a setting I should be using to decrease this lag time?
    Set everything manually that you can. Exposure, focus, and keep your finger half way pressing the shutter button while you compose/think/wait to take the shot.
    Autofocus adds about 1/2 second delay. Exposure calculation adds a litte more.

For motorsport I use manual focus at a point on the track I hope the car will pass, spot meter on an appropriate object (use the AEL button just under your right thumb) and half-press the shutter button.
    Then I can get photos like "regenmeister" in the sport photo section.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Help with A2 problem please

Yes, it's broken.

I have similar problem, both of my LCD's (viewfinder too!) went completely blank after 2 weeks of use during my learning period.

I had to sent almost new A2 to Minolta repair center in NY, and it has been waiting for repair for over 4 weeks! Their service center is the only one in the US and they don't have spare parts to fix A2's. They have been waiting for 4 weeks just to get some spare part and all they can "guarantee" is up to another 4 weeks of repair time! I am wondering if I am just an unlucky or other A2 owners shared the fate.

With all the respect to all possitive reviews I have seen for A2, I will never buy Minolta again because of their service. It's not exactly a cheap camera to get such a poor support.

Doesnt look like warranty will cover it, I will assume they will just tell me it is my fault and not fix it even though it is new. Are the LCD screens that fragile? Any ideas on how to fix or deal with this? Any other problem this might be? Im a bit bummed here....

Also a bit disappointed in lag time between pressing shutter and shot taken. Is there a setting I should be using to decrease this lag time? I would like to think I have something set up wrong, it is my first digital camera, am used to my lightning fast Nikon F100. Any tips and help on LCD problem would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, Claire
    Last edited by miros; 11-01-2004 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Help with A2 problem please

Claire - Even though the damage might technically be 'not covered', I would send it in under warranty anyway and try your luck. Such cases depend entirely on a 'judgement call' by the service manager - and I've seen several reports on the Minolta groups indicating he can be generous. (Like a Maxxum 70 buyer who put her finger thru the shutter while loading the second roll. Fixed under warranty!)

Of course, do take note of miros comment about the time delay waiting for parts - and dealing with Minolta's U.S. service center in general.

The delay on service has been a problem for a while - though hopefully to be corrected soon. After going thru some lean years, and a merger with Konica last year, the new 'Konica Minolta' is working to get back on track. Global marketing has been reorganized, surrounding the introduction of the new 7D DSLR. And word came just this past week, of the appointment of a new chief for the U.S. operation - apparently with marching orders to straighten out the kinks. Am keeping my fingers crossed......

Thread Information