Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Canon A2 Control Knob Issue

I've read about this problem for years, and yesterday, while pulling out my gear to start shooting a DH race, I noticed the control knob on my Canon A2 kinda 'crunch' instead of 'click' and it didn't stay on any one setting unless I didn't tap it or jolt it. It feels like a spring has popped out of place and is getting all wound up wrong inside there. My camera's something like 4 years old maybe. Is there a chance I can get it fixed without charge? I kinda doubt it, but I've heard about this issue being widespread so I was wondering. I wonder how much EOS 3's are going for nowadays :/

Horizon Electronics

You won't be able to get your A2 fixed for free. Canon has consistently denied that there was a design problem. But you can get it fixed, better than new, by Horizon Electronics. They replace the broken, plastic part, with their own, metal part. It will never break again. I think they charge about $100 for the repair and you'll get it back cleaned, too. They do the same repair under Canon warranty, too. But I'm sure your warranty is long past.

Not exactly sure how much EOS 3s are going for. My guess is used ones are selling for about $500-750. And the EOS 3 is still a very, very good camera. To find out how much they are new, just go to the EOS 3 review page and click on the B&H or Adorama dealer links.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

If you decide to sell your A2, please let me know. I've got a friend looking for another one. He's got one that he had fixed (by Horizon Electronics, if I remember correctly) and wants another one as a backup. He's upset that I won't sell him mine, now that I've gone digital!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Sweet. I'm contacting Horizon about the repairs. I pondered purchase of a new/used replacement, but the Elan 7 feels cheesy to me (no offense), and the EOS 3 is just out of fingernail reach with my current budget. There are some good deals on eBay on EOS 3's and if I sell some more of my personal belongings, who knows...?

Horizon is Great

I think I'd keep the A2. I had one for years and had the Command Dial replaced at Horizon. It was my main camera for 3-4 years until I bought an EOS 3, and then it was my backup. I kept it until I bought my EOS 1D.

I'm actually going to Horizon Electronics today to drop off a broken camera and a broken flash. They're a great business and I absolutely recommend them.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information