Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Junior Member capturedexpressions's Avatar

Question Grainy pics/NOISE coming from a DSLR??? WHY??

I have a Canon Rebel XT DSLR that I have had for about 8 years now. I am currently using a Quantam 55-220mm zoom lens and have been for about 6 years. I almost ALWAYS use the automatic settings on the camera so I am now baffled trying to figure out what is going on. My pics, over the last 3 months or so, have been coming out extremely grainy and low light. This includes indoor and outdoor shots. :mad2: Every once in a while I will get a non grainy shot, and most of them are upclose portrait shots.

My thoughts: Could the image sensor be bad in my camera?? Is my lens going bad?? Is it my memory card (which I upgraded to a SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III CompactFlash Memory Card about a year ago)?? Is it just that the computers I am using, the graphics card cannot handle the pixelization of the photos(for this I will post pics when I return home so u can see)??

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be and/or suggestions on how to fix this issue?? I have a wedding to shoot in 3 weeks and need to figure this out ASAP!! :cryin:

Re: Grainy pics/NOISE coming from a DSLR??? WHY??

I would post a few pictures as you mentioned but also give us as many of the settings on the camera that you are using, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

maybe you've got dust on the sensor? Just a wild guess is all since I'm new to DSLR. I don't know if the XTi has the sensor shake, or if it can break/become less effective.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

If you are using the auto setting, what ISO is the camera choosing?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I appreciate everyone responding so quickly.. and I must admit I didn't expect it. Needless to say I don't have all the answers just yet nor do I have photos to post as I am at my increasingly boring 9-5. I will post before pic from a year ago and a pic taken last week. I will also look at what ISO the camera is choosing in the portrait setting (which is what I was mostly using). Thanks y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion
    maybe you've got dust on the sensor? Just a wild guess is all since I'm new to DSLR. I don't know if the XTi has the sensor shake, or if it can break/become less effective.
    I don't think so.. as I usually have the camera cleaned at the very least once every 2 years and if I have been to the beach more than usual it will go in yearly. I am not sure about the self clean sensor shake on this model...I will have to pull out my owner's manual for that one :blush2:

ISO Settings

Quote Originally Posted by capturedexpressions
    I appreciate everyone responding so quickly.. and I must admit I didn't expect it. Needless to say I don't have all the answers just yet nor do I have photos to post as I am at my increasingly boring 9-5. I will post before pic from a year ago and a pic taken last week. I will also look at what ISO the camera is choosing in the portrait setting (which is what I was mostly using). Thanks y'all!
    The ISO settings are the key thing to look at. If you've recently started experimenting with new shooting modes of doing more low light shooting then some changes and bad photos should be expected. If you're using auto modes where the camera choose the ISO, and you're shooting in very low light, then noise should be expected. Please post some samples when you can and check the ISO. If it's ISO 800 or higher, you will see some noise.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I think you can restore your settings to factory default; maybe that would be worth a shot.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Yes Make sure your ISO setting is below 400 ISO, as the older DSRs all brands are noisy at the high ISO's.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thumbs up Re: Grainy pics/NOISE coming from a DSLR??? WHY??

I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed feedback. I have visited LOTS of photography forums.. but have never had such a swift and numerous amounts of repsonses to my posts. I will definitely be coming back here!!:thumbsup:

So I got home and got ready to post the pics when I realized that it WAS the ISO settings. :idea: I guess I was a bit beach hazed and didn't realize that I had selected the P setting on the camera instead of the portrait. The ISO settings on the P is set at 1800 :blush2: so I am now about to pull out the owner's manual to figure out just how to reset this. I guess it also explains why most of the beach pics look washed out on top of grainy. Thanks to everyone for all your help!! And hey.. at least I don't have to dish out a grand or so for a new camera body and lens ;-)

Smile Re: Grainy pics/NOISE coming from a DSLR??? WHY??

Quote Originally Posted by opus
    I think you can restore your settings to factory default; maybe that would be worth a shot.
    Yup.. I am working on that right now :yesnod:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad you like these forums.
    We are a friendly bunch and that's why I stayed here.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information