Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photographing Stars...

I'd like to photograph stars using an ultra slow shutter speed in order to get the moving effect. The camera being used is a Canon Elan 7 35mm.

What would be the best aperture for such a picture?

Generally how long of an exposure is needed? I will be using the bulb setting and a remote.

Can any damage result from holding the shutter open so long (eventhough it is a nightscape)? What about noise (right now I am using Fuji Superia X-tra 400)? Any other recommended films? Or other tips?

Thank you!

GB1
    Depends on your film. If you're shooting say 100 speed film, then you'd want to use a very large aperature. I'd shoot it wide open in that situation. For 400 speed film, you might want to use an ap of about f5.6 or f8. I'd er on the side of it being bright though. Stars don't really produce that much light.

As for time, if you just want to get some moving effect, 1-2 hrs is fine. But if you want to get the stars circling the north star (see my post) then you should use as long an exp as you can! Wait till at least an hr after sunset and, preferably a night with no moon (this sun-mon), and stop it ~ one hour before sunrise. That's approx 9 pm - 5 am. Make sure you anchor the tripod down tight. Wind gusts may shake it and that will have an unflattering effect on the pic.

A long exposure will not hurt your camera in any way. BUT -------- is your Bulb setting manual? If not, I wonder if your camera's batteries can make it for 8 hours? I have 3 cameras and 2 have mechanical B settings, and those are the ones I use for long exps. Also, you should be fine with 400 speed film (technically, noise is only a digital photo problem, but try to aim the camera at a pt in the sky where there's no light from cities, moon, or passing aircraft).

Good luck this weekend

GB

You won't get any noise if you're using film ! Noise in digital cameras is sort of like grain that you see in film - the same but different. Most ISO400 film isn't too grainy, but big wide open areas (as in sky) may show it more grain than other subjects. Personally, I use Fuji Provia 400F (slide film) when I can or Provia 100F. They're both good.

The length of star trails is dependent on two things - the exposure time and focal length of the lens. If you use a 20mm lens, you won't get very long trails in an hour - but with a 200mm lens you may have trails that go from one side of the frame to another in the same amount of time. Different focal lengths give you a different angle of view, and how long it takes for a star to move (I know, this isn't how it really works) a certain distance across the film (1/2 way, all the way, etc) is determined by how many degrees you're looking at in the sky. Just like standing next to a road with a 20mm lens and seeing how long a car takes to go from one side of the frame to the other versus a 200mm - big difference. With ISO400, I'd probably still shoot fairly wide, maybe f4-5.6.

Use a very sturdy tripod. If you're in sand, protect the tripod from sand getting into it, but push it down a little so it won't move at all. Long exposures won't hurt your shutter but batteries don't last long doing this. I remember hearing that my old Nikon N8008s would last about 3-1/2 hours on a new set of 4xAA alkalines, YMMV. One last thing - if you have some horizon in your shot, make sure the camera is level. It's very hard to tell so I use a bubble level. Nothing like doing a 2-hour exposure and finding out it was crooked !

Thread Information