Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photographing bottles

Hi all,
    I have been asked to take some photos of wine bottles and the interior of a wine shop for scanning and use on a web site. I am pretty much a beginner in these things, but I really want to do a good job for these people. I am concerned that light from a flash will be reflected and appear as a glare in my photos. How can i best combat this? Should i use flash, or no flash, there is of course artificial lighting inside the store.What would be the best film to use in this situation.
    I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can give me some ideas or tips about how best to tackle this project.
    Many thanks
    K

Don't use on camera flash

Yeah, don't use on camera flash if you are going to get close ups of bottles. They will look really harsh and flat two dimensional.

Run out and buy a wine magazine and study their photos. If you don't have alot of studio lights shoot the bottles near a window with some fill on the opposite side. This will give a nice soft even lighting but still keep the three dimensional quality.

When shooting the store use the existing light, again if you don't have enough studio equipment. Also, check the lights in the store to see what kind they have. If they are using tungsten lights and you are shooting film, you will need tungsten balanced film or everything will come out orange.

You may also want to post this in studio and lighting. Steve and Loren are both very capable lighting guys and I'm sure can give you more info.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the advice. I have some magazines here that i will be going through shortly for ideas. Plus i have posted this in on the studio and lighting section as you recommended. Many thanks
    K

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    Yeah, don't use on camera flash if you are going to get close ups of bottles. They will look really harsh and flat two dimensional.

Run out and buy a wine magazine and study their photos. If you don't have alot of studio lights shoot the bottles near a window with some fill on the opposite side. This will give a nice soft even lighting but still keep the three dimensional quality.

When shooting the store use the existing light, again if you don't have enough studio equipment. Also, check the lights in the store to see what kind they have. If they are using tungsten lights and you are shooting film, you will need tungsten balanced film or everything will come out orange.

You may also want to post this in studio and lighting. Steve and Loren are both very capable lighting guys and I'm sure can give you more info.

Dennis

Thread Information