Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Flash

Flash

Hey guys, need a little help on flash equipment and setup. I take alot of motocross pictures during the weekends and as soon as it gets dark its really difficult to get a picture with some sort of background. Im already using an external flash a canon 188a speedlite and it seems like its just enough to get the subject from about 5 feet away. Im looking for some kind of slave unit (dont know the terminology) that i can use with a tripod while out on the track. It needs to be portable and quick to setup. Any ideas?

Re: Flash

here are some sample images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash-img_0330.jpg   Flash-img_0362.jpg  

Welcome to photography Review. You will need a much higher ISO than 100 to capture any night time pictures. I would be very careful about using a flash on someone riding a bike like that because you could cause a bad accident. There are several people on this site that do this type of work and will probably be giving you some very good advice as they get time to read your post. Again welcome to the site and give members time to read and answer your question, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How much difference in noise and grain will a higher ISO create in the large areas of blacks when blowing up the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by GordonA
    How much difference in noise and grain will a higher ISO create in the large areas of blacks when blowing up the picture?

Depends on the camera. A Rebel might show alot of noise at ISO 600 while a 1D might have a clear image at ISO 6400

Quote Originally Posted by GordonA
    No Flash or lens made will bring out the back ground after the sun sets and still capture the action. But you have a better chance if the track is lighted.

The first item needed is an fast lens. F2.8 or faster, now the bad news at wide open you will have a shallow DOF.

Next is you have use a faster ISO. Good ISO performance varies greatly even with in a camera band, and between bands to a point but when you get to the top of the line there is not that much difference between camera bands. That is between an entry level Sony, Nikon or Canon there will not be that much different but between a Nikon D3000 and a D3x there is a very large difference, and it's the same with all brands, some more than others.

You really do not wish to use flash which may blind the riders either. In fact you could be told flash is not allowed.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

1) You'll need to pop your ISO way up (if I was shooting I'd go up to 1600-3200 or higher with new rigs like the Nikon D3s) depending on what body you have (go as high as you can with noise acceptable to you).
    2) Like mentioned above, you'll need fast glass (f/2.8 or faster for light) and preferably a fast focusing lens (or manually focus). For me, focus is the biggest challenge when shooting races, bmx and nearly anything at night. Even the best bodies and lenses have trouble focusing in the black -- and moving subjects only make it tougher.
    3) With a good flash you can slow down the shutter speed (allows more ambient light in) and play with motion blur and such (the flash will stop the action). I love to play with slow shutter speeds (1/20 sec or longer) during events (after I get my good crisp shots) and with riders/racers going around a closed circuit it gives you lots of opportunities to try different settings. Racers won't be blinded by your flash (maybe you might piss them off if you lean into their way pop them right in the face from less than a couple of feet). You can try rear/curtain sync (flash at the end of the exposure to get cool motion blur).
    4) Radio triggers are available and very good for shooting things like motocross and such. From your images it looks like you are shooting buddies and not at organized races -- so have at it.

So basically -- slow shutter and high ISO will help you get more background and color in your images. Flash will light your subject and freeze the action.

mbb

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I totally forgot about adjusting the iso setting. Im going to have to try that next time i am out there at the track.

Thread Information