Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

File Associations in Photoshop

I work at a weekly paper. In my office I just got a new-to-me Mac.

This is driving me wacky:
    I have Photoshop open and am opening up files through that. However, different from in the past, the little photo icons come up with a "Q" on them for Quiktime, as opposed to a little shot of the photo. I can't get a preview to come up. And I don't have time to open all those "Q" shots to see them.

I can't figure out where to set up a file association, so that the photos downloaded to the computer will show up as previews and not the "Q"s.

We asked our boss, the so-called Mac "guru" who said, "hmmm, I dunno."

Help! and thanks in advance!!

lizs

Re: File Associations in Photoshop

If you're running OSX then Alt-click on a file (or right-click if you have a two-button mouse) and select "Open With." There you get to pick your porgram to open the file, and you will have a choice to make that association permanent.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: File Associations in Photoshop

Nada, Sebastian.

A little more info. I download photos through a card reader, then drag them into a set file on the desktop. They show up right away, at that point, as being Quiktime-affiliated with the "Q" and no photo preview on the icon. I have to click on them, if I want to see them at this point in the process, and they come up as full-screen-height Quiktime images, which is pretty pointless, because I can't do a "save as" and keep them as .jpgs or whatever.

On my old system, an iMac, the icons showed up as little versions of the photo. So how did that happen? Not sure what OS is was.

This "new" set-up is using OS 9.2. I tried to "alt-right click" a photo in my desktop folder, with nothing having been done to it other than downloading it to the computer. It came up in Quiktime.

Aaaaack!!! lol

next try? :-) Again, thanks. I know how to set up file associations in the PC (I use Irfanview and they all get associated with that image browsing program, but still, they open as visible photos when you open through Photoshop, not as little Irfanview icons.)

I can't figure if this is a Windows, Mac, Quiktime, Canon, or Photoshop problem at work.... so dang many variables!

Thread Information