Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Dust on my sensor

I recently had a big spot show up in the same place on all my pictures. I have always wondered what I would do if this happened. I have read about the different fancy products that you can buy to clean your sensor but haven't purchased any. Before I did anything I Googled how to do it and found out that there really wasn't anything to it. This is what I did and it took me about 60 seconds to fix my problem.

#1 Charged up my battery so it would be fully charged. I do not know the reason for a full charge but that was in the instructions

#2 Went into my menu and locked up the mirror

#3 Took the brush part of my lens brush blower combo off

$4 Removed the lens from the camera

#5 Held the camera with the opening facing down and used the bulb blower part of my lens cleaner to blow air into my camera making sure not to touch the sensor or anything else

#6 turned the camera off so that the mirror would drop back into place

#7 Put the lens back on, took a picture and problem was fixed

This whole process to about a minute to do and my camera now has clear pictures again Bottom line is that it was very simple and easy to do and required no fancy products to complete the operation. Fast, easy, and effective is a great combination.This was done on my Nikon D80 but should work just as well on any camera make. I hope this may help some of you that have the problem and were apprehensive about doing something about it, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Dust on my sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    #1 Charged up my battery so it would be fully charged. I do not know the reason for a full charge but that was in the instructions
    The reason for this is so that the battery doesn't go dead while you are in the process of cleaning your sensor. If the battery goes dead, the camera will shut down and the mirror will close. You don't want to have a blower or brush inside of the mirror box when the mirror comes back down. If that happens, a dirty sensor is going to be the least of your problems. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

yuppers.

I started DSLR with a maxxum 5D, now onto the A700. The 5D had dust problems aplenty, but the A700 I have had only one problem with. The new anti-static shielding and dust reduction sensors technology actually works, so, fortunately for most newer camera bodies this is not a serious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    yuppers.

I started DSLR with a maxxum 5D, now onto the A700. The 5D had dust problems aplenty, but the A700 I have had only one problem with. The new anti-static shielding and dust reduction sensors technology actually works, so, fortunately for most newer camera bodies this is not a serious issue.
    I did the same thing with my D200 a couple of weeks ago - a few bursts of air from a mega-blower.

So far I haven't had to do anything on my newer cameras equipped with a sensor shaker (D300, D60). From time to time I notice there is a speck of dust in my pictures. But a few days later - it's not there any more.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I had a problem with the D300, a stickier particle that would just move around after using the sensor cleaning function.
    it was big enough that I could see it on the sensor not just on the photos.
    Had to do what described by grandpaw and it got rid of the stubborn particle.

When I had the D70 and the D200 I preformed this same operation a few time always with good results. Since I started using the D700 most of the time I've not had any problems.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Hopefully you will never need to do a chemical + swab cleaning on your camera. I shoot at the beach pretty often, so I am real careful about changing lenses due to windblown sticky sand. I get in the truck with the windows up to change lenses, it works. The blower is all I have needed so far.

My worst case of dirt was from a bellows I purchased. Attached it to the camera without blowing it out! What a mess. Clean all attachments before using

Phil

Thread Information