Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    CHW

Question Downloaded image doesn't match quality of image viewed in the camera's LCD

Camera: Canon PowerShot A40
    Software: Canon ZoomBrowserEX or Photoshop
    Problem: When taking pictures with low light or varied light (i.e., sunset, candlelight) images furthest from the light source appear well defined and exposed in the camera's LCD, but when viewed after downloaded appear very dark, losing nearly all definition and color (almost black). Why is the image viewed on the camera so much better than the downloaded image? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks....!

Re: Downloaded image doesn't match quality of image viewed in the camera's LCD

Hard to tell what you got with the small LCD on the back of the camera unless you zoom in (if you can on that camera, not sure) - and even then... Some of the latest and best camera LCD's are about 200,000 pixels (0.2 megapixels). When you view on a monitor set to 1024x768, you've got almost 0.8mp for full screen and have to blow it up many times larger than the screen to see a 100% crop. Big difference in detail there.

I've had shots that I was sure were what I wanted on the LCD only to have them not be quite what I thought after downloading. A little Photoshop magic can usually help though.

Compact digital P&S cameras have a hard time recording images in very low light conditions, the small sensor can get really noisy (grainy) quickly.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

also, calibrate your monitor. I know that I had this problem when i first started using my camera. Pictures looked great on the LCD, then when I uploaded, they were very dark. Once I calibrated my monitor, they looked much more similar.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHW
    Camera: Canon PowerShot A40
    Software: Canon ZoomBrowserEX or Photoshop
    Problem: When taking pictures with low light or varied light (i.e., sunset, candlelight) images furthest from the light source appear well defined and exposed in the camera's LCD, but when viewed after downloaded appear very dark, losing nearly all definition and color (almost black). Why is the image viewed on the camera so much better than the downloaded image? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks....!
    The LCD on the back of the camera was never meant to judge the overall image. Use a histogram on the LCD and make sure your monitor is calibrated.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information