Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

How to Buy a Digital Camera

Buying your first digital camera need not be a difficult task. The key considerations are between resolution (how many megapixels), features, and price. The other factors will include battery life, memory, camera zoom, as well as the LCD viewfinder. Think about these issues and you'll definitely have a better idea of which digital camera is right for you.

How many megapixels do you need?
    Deciding how many megapixels you need is the first important step in finding the right digital camera for you. The image quality of a camera depends on its resolution. Resolution is essentially a measure of image sharpness based on the number of pixels that make up the image. The more pixels the camera has, the sharper the images it can produce. One million pixels equals one megapixel.

If only want to share images via email or online photo albums, then a camera with less than one-megapixel resolution is suitable. Digital cameras in this range are inexpensive and very easy to use.

If your intention is to make 4x6-inch prints, then you should get a two-megapixel digital camera. Cameras in this category are an excellent choice for e-mail, online use, and standard 4x6-inch prints.

If you're considering enlarging some of your digital shots to 8x10 inches, then consider a three-megapixel digital camera. Cameras in this category provide excellent-quality images.

Digital cameras in the four to five-megapixel range are capable of producing professional-quality images. These cameras are more suitable for serious amateur and professional photographers.

How much money do you want to spend?
    The prices of digital cameras vary greatly, from less than $50 to more than $4,000. Prices are based primarily on resolution and features. As always, do expect that the latest models will be priced at a premium. Whereas the best bargains are usually last season's models.

Say you're are looking for a simple camera for their kids. Or maybe you just want to start experimenting with digital photography. Then my advice is do not spend too much money. You can always pick up a inexpensive model first, then later upgrade the camera if you so wish.

You'll find that digital SLR models are much pricier. They'll set you back around $2,000! The vast majority of digital cameras are point-and-shoot models which are (thankfully) much cheaper.

Of course, you get what you pay for. A $50 digital camera will not perform as well or provide the same features available with a $300 digital camera. Decide what features you need, then shell out the cash. This will ensure that you will be satisfied with your purchase.

Which digital camera size appeals to you?

I'd say there are three basic sizes of digital cameras - compact, standard and professional. You need to know what size camera suits your needs. Will you travel a lot with your camera? Then a compact model is good. Are you an average home user? Then maybe a standard sized model is suitable. Consider the size factor before making a purchase.

Compact digital cameras are designed to be stylish, tiny and highly pocketable. They're great for taking fun and adhoc shots. Watch out though - they are generally more expensive than standard-sized cameras with similar features.

Standard digital cameras are pretty similar to 35mm point-and-shoot models in appearance and features. Most of them are too large to fit in your pocket, but you might be able to find some reasonably compact models.

Professional digital cameras will give you additional features like interchangeable lenses, flashes, and other accessories. This category includes Professional SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras. Designed for professional and serious amateur photographers who require a high degree of manual control.

Battery Life/Power
    This is one of the most overlooked factors in choosing a digital camera. Always look for a model with a long lasting battery. And remember - the more you use the LCD viewfinder, the faster the batteries will go. Many digital cameras are packed with battery chargers and rechargeable batteries, but some are not. Do bear in mind that buying rechargeable batteries and a charger will typically add from $30 to $100 to the base cost of the camera.

How much memory?
    Digital cameras store photos in memory. Traditional cameras use film. What's the difference? Well, digital camera memory is reusable! The capacity (size) of the image memory storage will determine how many images you can store.

There are two kinds of memory: built-in memory and removable storage memory. Most cameras use removable storage memory to record images. The most popular forms of removable storage memory are Compact Flash cards , Sony Memory Sticks, and SmartMedia Cards. These days, memory sizes of 128MB and 256MB are considered to be the standard for most cameras.

Optical Zoom & Digital Zoom
    It's useful to know that many digital cameras provide both an optical and a digital zoom. It's important to understand the difference between the two. Photo quality is not compromised by optical zoom. But digital zooms use internal software to magnify a small area of the picture, which results in a noticeable loss of image quality.

LCD Viewfinders
    When buying digital cameras, one consideration might be the liquid-crystal display (LCD) viewfinder. It allows you to see what your picture will look like before you take it. LCD viewfinders also permit you to view saved images and delete the ones that you don't like.

Conclusion
    If you've always wanted to buy a digital camera, now is the time! A couple of years ago, an average two-megapixel digital camera cost about $800. Today, an average two-megapixel digital camera costs less than $300. So don't hesitate, invest in a good camera today.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: How to Buy a Digital Camera

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendr
    Deciding how many megapixels you need is the first important step in finding the right digital camera for you.
    No, its not. The quality of the pixels, such as size, means a lot more than the how many pixels the marketing department has chosen to push.

The image quality of a camera depends on its resolution. Resolution is essentially a measure of image sharpness based on the number of pixels that make up the image.
    Reso;ution and sharpness are two different quantities. Resolution is measured in lph which is independent of other image quality measurements. You can, and do, have cameras with high resolution but at the cost of extra noise. You have fringing, barrel and pincushion distortion, moire, etc. all of which can degrade resolution. Number of pixels is only one part of the equation.

Digital cameras in the four to five-megapixel range are capable of producing professional-quality images. These cameras are more suitable for serious amateur and professional photographers.
    Are you saying that an 8 MP P&S produces images as good as or better than a 6 MP Rebel or D70? You can't judge quality using the number of pixels. Image quality and MP count are not directly related.

You'll find that digital SLR models are much pricier. They'll set you back around $2,000!
    Many DSLR modles are under $2000 these days with the Canon Rebel being sold for about $950 with a lens. The Nikon D70 with lens is about $1300 and the Canon 10D with lens inch closer to $1600. All of these cameras are much more than most photographers will ever need.

When buying digital cameras, one consideration might be the liquid-crystal display (LCD) viewfinder. It allows you to see what your picture will look like before you take it. LCD viewfinders also permit you to view saved images and delete the ones that you don't like.
    Are you talking about the LCD screen or an EVF? I think you are getting mixed up here. Very few cameras use an EVF because the quality is still terrible. The LCD preview screen on the back of the camera tells you much more about an image than any small electronic viewfinder can. I have not heard of a manufacturer using an EVF for reviews and deletions, can you give me an example? Most DSLRs use a standard optical viewfinder, the prosumer cameras have an LCD screen that works much better than their uncorrected optical viewfinders. With very rare exceptions, all P&S cameras do previews. No DSLR cameras can do previews.

I understand that you are trying to help but the information has to be correct for people to avoid a bad purchase.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I agree with pretty much everything Micheal has said.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Pretty much take Michael's advice, it's very good advice.

My only note would be to ask yourself, where my images go? That will determine how much resolution you need.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks

Thanks for your guide, Gary. It's got a lot of info and I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people. There is plenty of disagreement on what features are important when choosing a digital camera - especially when it comes to resolution. A lot of us on this site have been pretty jaded about how camera companies have been pushing resolution on us for the past few years. It's an important consideration, but not necessarily the most important one. You do have to decide how much resolution you want. It's just that other things, like the lens, or shutter-lag, are often more important. For example, I'm still happily using my 4 megapixel EOS 1D SLR and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

It's interesting to see how people are responding to your post. I'm thinking about making it sticky. Even if we don't all agree, it's still a good starting point. And as everyone adds their opinion it could get really good.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Do what you will John, but this is just a reprint of an article on the persons site. I see it aslittle more than a sly way to advertise.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I know

I know, Sebastian. But it's still got good information in it and it definitely adds to this forum, even if we don't completely agree with all of what he's written.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Do what you will John, but this is just a reprint of an article on the persons site. I see it aslittle more than a sly way to advertise.
    And this line makes me wonder how old the article is: "Today, an average two-megapixel digital camera costs less than $300." You could spend less than half of that now.

I agree with most of what's been brought up in the replies here, MP isn't MP and more doesn't necessarily mean better. If the 4mp Nikon D2H did a good job in high ISO's I'd really be thinking about it...

kes

Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

It's interesting to see how people are responding to your post. I'm thinking about making it sticky. Even if we don't all agree, it's still a good starting point. And as everyone adds their opinion it could get really good.
    I wonder whether all stickies about digicam subjects could be collected into a series of monographs and placed on a page of introductory materials or at the head of the list of forums. My biggest challenge with jumping into the middle of a topic was just that: "jumping into the middle." I had to surf for introductory material then return to the forums.

Re: Thanks

Hi Photo-John,

The guide is just a list of the factors I thought should go into purchasing a digital camera. I've got some many people asking 'How do I buy a digital camera' that I thought I'd post it on my website and share it in this forum too.

Sure, you can make it a sticky if you wish - as long as it helps others, I'll be glad to share the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Thanks for your guide, Gary. It's got a lot of info and I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people. There is plenty of disagreement on what features are important when choosing a digital camera - especially when it comes to resolution. A lot of us on this site have been pretty jaded about how camera companies have been pushing resolution on us for the past few years. It's an important consideration, but not necessarily the most important one. You do have to decide how much resolution you want. It's just that other things, like the lens, or shutter-lag, are often more important. For example, I'm still happily using my 4 megapixel EOS 1D SLR and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

Thread Information