Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Digital Camera Mystery

Another, maybe far reaching explanation... Maybe you or someone was taking pictures of something on tv, computer or something like that. It's hard telling -- but the pictures look too good to be something like that --but , maybe!

mbb

Quote Originally Posted by bandog
    Thanks California - that's a LOT of info you've provided!
    In March 2006, I was working 9-5, and going nowhere.
    The furthest I've been from my home (Ontario) is a few miles
    south of the border, no more than a half dozen times in my
    entire life ... so, no ... I didn't take the photos while on vacation,
    and "forget" ... although, I'm almost wishing I did, so that a
    possible explanation could be reached!
    I've never lent my camera to anyone - ever. I just don't have the
    money to replace something like this, so it's best not to take
    chances.
    One plausible explanation that you offered would be that I might
    have put the camera down at some point, and accidentally picked
    up one belonging to another person ... the exact same manufacturer,
    model, etc (it's quite a stretch, but still ... one of the most plausible
    explanations I've seen so far).
    BUT - my three images are #'s 1, 2, and 3 on the memory card ... were
    recorded in March 2007 (after the recorded dates on the remaining images)
    ... #'s 4 through 23 - which are NOT mine ... follow in sequence.
    The info is just cut and paste. But to make a long shot even longer- on my Olympus if you delete pictures, 1, 2, 3, but not 7-20, or whatever, your next three shots will be in places 1-3. So maybe those pictures, somehow, were taken in 2006, but somebody deleted 1-3. In 2007 you took 3 pictures, which ended up 1-3 on the card. That would make the switched camera theory possible, if not plausible. Do you have the serial number of the camera you bought and the one you have?

Could someone else have loaned the camera- wife, girlfriend, mother, brother, roommate, without telling you?

Then there's mattbikeboy's theory, maybe not a TV, but how about a magazine- someone testing the camera?

Reminds me what happened to a filmmaker friend of mine. He went to the lab to pick up some 16mm he shot. He asked to see it in one of their editing rooms. A minute later he's at the front desk insisting it's not his film. The lab explains that it's extremely unlikely he got the wrong film with the serial number system they use, and that the serial number on the film matches the one generated for his receipt. If there was an error then it meant they gave everyone the wrong film, and nobody else had complained. They ask him if he's certain it's not his. He is. He explains that he's shooting a serious experimental film and the film they gave him is women playing volleyball- obviously some horrible ad agency stuff. The lab manager goes into the editing room and views the film. My friend is of of an artistic temperament and won't even go back into the editing room. He KNOWS it's not his film. The manager comes out two minutes later and describes the opening scene on his reel- a room with moody lighting and a young man holding a can of beer staring into the camera. He's relieved. They found his film. Yes, and no- it's the film they gave him. Come back to the editing room and they'll show him. Sure enough his film is cued up to the first shot. What he forgot was that his last shot on that reel was a slow dolly into a TV- which was a live off air broadcast that happened to be showing a beer commercial with- women playing volleyball. He also forgot, but should have known, that labs deliver film 'tails out'- last shot first. He was so shocked to see jiggle shots instead of art his mind went blank. He left with his tail between his legs feeling like the world's biggest idiot. They're probably still laughing about it. I know we are.

If you ever figure this one out, let us know. I'd like to hear the real story.

re. different locations - my boyfriend noticed conifer trees in a few of the mystery
    images ... I'm not botanist, but I don't think conifers live in the tropics?

Quote Originally Posted by bandog
    re. different locations - my boyfriend noticed conifer trees in a few of the mystery
    images ... I'm not botanist, but I don't think conifers live in the tropics?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropica...ferous_forests

If I were to guess, and it would just be a guess, I'd say either Mexico or possibly the Caribbean.

poltergeist.....

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I really want to know what happened here lol I love a mystery

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I really want to know what happened here lol I love a mystery
    ...Julius von Bismarck used his Image Fulgurator to plant those images on the camera...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I have no further information concerning this mystery ... HP has stopped responding ...
    I must have used a big word in my last response to them.
    As someone pointed out recently ... there MUST be a logical explanation ... but it might
    never be found ...
    I will continue to monitor this thread for any further suggestions/ideas/theories ... and
    respond to any I see.
    I'm busily preparing for a weekend getaway right now ... but I'll be sure to call HP
    next week ... if I demand to have the issue escalated via phone, I'm sure they'll be
    much more likely to comply.
    My thanks to all who have attempted to assist in solving this oddity!

To me they look like photos of photos, as in some took a picture of a photo. The first one in this post looks like it has a line in it?

Just my thoughts.

Most likely they're just sample images, a lot of older digital point and shoots had those. Much like on windows media player when you first buy a computer. I had that happen when I bought this one - found all these pics of peoples' birthdays and stuff like that of somewhere in mexico. Who knows? As long as the thing works ...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Most likely they're just sample images, a lot of older digital point and shoots had those
    I don't think so in this case, because the date/time stamp in the EXIF is after the camera was bought.
    That's the confusing thing.

like on windows media player when you first buy a computer. I had that happen when I bought this one - found all these pics of peoples' birthdays and stuff like that of somewhere in mexico.
    So your "new" computer wasn't new after all then?
    I've had that when I bought a discounted returned-and-refurbished computer.
    But I expected it
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I don't think so in this case, because the date/time stamp in the EXIF is after the camera was bought.
    That's the confusing thing.

So your "new" computer wasn't new after all then?
    I've had that when I bought a discounted returned-and-refurbished computer.
    But I expected it

Bought am ipod like that from bestbuy, was new in the box. Opened and went to set it up and noticed it was named Joe's :P

Man I was pissed, when you spend $300 on something new and get used it tends to do that hahahaha.

But yes all retail places can rewrap products. So it could have been used but new to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information