Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Delkin Devices Fat Gecko

Has anyone used one of these devices? If you don't know what they are, they are a ball head you mount to a flat surface using a suction cup. I want an easy way to mount a DSLR to my kayak. I picked up a Mini Camera Mount today, but I'm thinking of taking it back because it didn't come with the height extender like it should have. I also don't think I will be able to reach the camera because it's going to be mounted too far in front of me. Just wondering if anyone else has used one of these products and want to know what you think.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Delkin Devices Fat Gecko

Update: I did a little testing with the Fat Gecko last night. I had it attached to my desk, with my DSLR w/battery grip and ultra wide angle lens to see if it would support the weight. It did support it for a while, but then it lost suction and fell over. Not something I want to have happen while on the water in my kayak. This is going back to the store.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Delkin Devices Fat Gecko

I have a bass boat and I can promise you none of my SLRs are going to be in it on the water. But I took a seat mount and put a cheap pan head on it and use my old Olymous Super Zoom.

NO, repeat that, NO suction cup mount is going to be safe to hold a camera on your kayak. It will have to be something mechanically fastened to the hull or deck in some way.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Thread Information