Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Canon EOS A2

Canon EOS A2

Hi,
    I am a beginning photographer and I am trying to decide whether to purchase a Canon EOS A2 or the Canon ELAN-7. I know enough about the ELAN-7, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the EOS A2. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

I had an EOS5

which is the European version of the A2e. I thought it was a very good camera, but the ECF only worked in when the camera was held horizontallly, not vertically. I found this very frustrating.

Additionaly, the 7 and 7e work with the newer EX flashguns; the A2 was designed to work with the older EZ series

I would suggest the 7e for these reasons and also that the A2 has been discontinued and should you have problems with the camera, support from Canon might be lacking.

Simon
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Mamiya Man
    I agree and would also get the elan 7 or 7e. The 7e is one of the cameras I use and I still love it. It is much quieter than my others easy to use the only bad point is that you'll get spoiled with the eye control function of the elan 7e. I would also wait for the new version to come out the elan 7e n. it ettl that my eos 3 has and I hear it can focus a little quicker.

Agree with the others

I agree with the others. I used to own an A2E and it was a fine camera. But I think that the functions and capabilities of the Elan 7 are enough improved that it's a better camera to have now. There's also an issue with the command dial on the A2/EOS 5. If you read the reviews for that camera you'll see what I mean. Probably half of them break. The A2E is nice, but it's definitely old. The Elan 7 is still a current body. And if you wait a little and have the money, I have no doubt that the new Elan 7N will be even better.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information