Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: B&W settings?

B&W settings?

I have a Canon digital rebel XTi and I want to shoot some cityscapes in black & white. I set the Picture Style to monochrome with settings of 3, 0, R, N (that's sharpness, contrast, filter effect and toning effect). Was wondering if anyone can shoots with different settings and why.

Thanks!

Re: B&W settings?

Quote Originally Posted by kernix
    I have a Canon digital rebel XTi and I want to shoot some cityscapes in black & white. I set the Picture Style to monochrome with settings of 3, 0, R, N (that's sharpness, contrast, filter effect and toning effect). Was wondering if anyone can shoots with different settings and why.

Thanks!
    I guess your Canon settings mean:

Sharpness = 3 = enhanced
    Contrast = 0 = Neutral
    Filter effect = R = Red
    Toning effect = N = Neutral

The red filter is going to make blue skies go dark and increase contrast which makes sense for buildings. I would probably do something similar

I always shoot RAW and do the conversion to black-and-white afterwards in the NX2 editor using the channel mixer. I adjust two out of the three primary colours till it looks right. For people this usually means increasing the green quite a lot and increasing the red about half as much. This makes skin tones go lighter and perks up the image.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: B&W settings?

Ok - thanks!

Thread Information