Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

After some tips on a wedding shot...

Hi everyone,

I have recently shot a wedding for some friends as a BIG favour. The B&G loved the shots, but I am hoping to create something even more special. I have one image in particular which might be identified as a "grab shot" - but there is something about it I really love - as does the Bride.

Soooo, I am hoping that Hodgy and others might have some post processing ideas for me as I am definately a PS newbie. I have done some levels work on this and then converted to B&W (which I quite like). I am seriously considering some actions from the NoBs site - would the SOFTAR action improve this shot?

Would love to hear what you all think - is it good? what could be improved?. I've been away from the site for quite a while now (travelling for work) and am looking forward to getting back into the learning groove again.

Thanks everyone,

Fran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After some tips on a wedding shot...-bride-critique-colour.jpg   After some tips on a wedding shot...-bride-critique.jpg  

I am not a wedding photographer, but as someone who has LIVED through 4 weddings over the last three years this is my humble opinion. I like the black and white shot the best and I agree it's a great shot. The background isn't perfect but if it was she would probably be posing and the moment would be lost. I think a tighter crop, if possible, would really add to the picture. You wouldn't get distracted looking at the background.

absolutely beautiful...

great grab shot...I prefer BW although I thik the color one has iwonderful qualities too(try a sepia) anyway here's my take on the BW
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

That's a nice shot, well done.

I personally think that this one should be cropped into a portrait format, because it brings the main subject more in focus and it increases the focus on the eyes and makes them stronger by making good use of the stronger points in an image (rule of thirds).

'White' has a special meaning when people get married, that's why I felt the need to brighten up the background, also as an extension to the dress and to move the subject away from the background and make the shot more 'refreshing' (sorry, can't find the right word right now).

Anyway, that's my view on this one ;)
    Last edited by Elysian; 09-09-2004 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks everyone...

I really appreciate your input. I love the changes you have made Nat and Elysian. My preference is to keep it in the landscape format as I do like the sense of space around the bride (most probably because that was my brief for this wedding - a great sense of space), but I especially like the way you have both lightened the background - would you mind telling me how you have done that - ie in levels or by some other method. This would greatly help my PS learning curve. Thanks again, I appreciate the time you have taken to work on improving this shot.

Fran

The only thing Fran, is traditionally, the space is usually in front of the person not at the rear, but if that is the brief then who are we to say otherwise. Why not present both aspects to the bride and groom.

How's NQ today, going to watch the Rugby League game this eveing. Think Brisbane is going to loose by the look of it.

NQ Cowboys won! yay! definately something we can celebrate up here - mind you I grew up on the Gold Coast so I should be more concerned that the Broncos lost, but - I'M NOT! Hope you are not a Canterbury supporter Peter...

Fran

ps - completely hear what you are saying about the photo - the B&G are aware they can play with all the photos (they are close friends so have complete creative control) so we are looking at this together.

off topic, but go the storm!!

Sorry I'm late

Hope you don't mind, but I played with the picture to show you my suggestion.

Re: Sorry I'm late

a quick rendition.

Thread Information