Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

adobe RGB 1998 to sRGB-

hello, everyone!
    i've have scanned a large number of slides [using a nikon ls-40 scanner], manipulated them in ps 6.0 [using adobe RGB 1998 color space] and burned them to cd-r's. a number of these i plan to have 4x6 prints made from. the printing firm i checked with uses the fuji frontier photo system in their developing and said they develop using sRGB color space.questions-
    1- so that i have it right, please give me "step by step" the conversion. i do have these files on my hard drive and plan after the "conversion" to burn them again as sRGB and send those cd-r's to the developer. is there a way to convert a large number of these photo files at a time or am i stuck converting each photo file individually?
    2- when photo files that have adobe RGB 1998 color space, are developed into 4x6 prints by a developer using sRGB in the developing, will the resulting print look any "different" than if the initial photo file was in sRGB? if there is a difference, what would one see in viewing one print against the other?
    thank you. happy thanksgiving!

tramp

Re: adobe RGB 1998 to sRGB-

I will answer your question, and then ask a question.

To convert the image, go to Photoshop CS -

1) Image (menu) then
    2) Mode (menu) then
    3) Convert to profile
    4) Pick the profile that you want.

To answer your second question, is that it will be a little different because most printers print using Adobe RGB 1998. I would only convert to sRGB for posting to the web or for websites.

When I go down to Wolf Camera to print out some test 4x6's, they use Adobe RGB and Fuji Crystal Archive paper which is great. So my question is, why would you convert all of those images to sRGB?

Loren

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

People make such a big thing of this...

tramp,

What I would do is run a test print (or maybe a few) using the files as you have them now and evaluate the results. Color is a very subjective thing, and the truth is Adobe RGB and sRGB are not that different.

I've accidently assigned the "wrong" color space to some of my files on occasion, and not only did I not notice a difference on my monitor screen, but I didn't see any real difference in my prints either.

You may find that any subtle color differences between the color spaces is acceptable to you, and that would save you a lot of work.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Yes...

Many times, you can have an image in sRGB and it will print with similar results. With my experience, my prints will come out with extra saturation if I set my color space to sRGB and sent it to my printer who prints in Adobe RGB 1998.

Since his images are already in RGB format, he should just keep it there and head down to the printer after adjusting the scan.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

i want to thank all of you for your replies. my answer to "your" question is this- the photo developer i have contacted is "winkflash" that told me the color space they use in developing is sRGB. i asked the lady that i spoke with at "winkflash" since mine were in adobeRGB 1998 color space would the resulting print be different. she said that it could be darker. whether she actually knew or not i really don't know. i didn't want it to be a situation of my color space not matching theirs and the prints not come back "optimum" like the files are when i view them in photoshop. i want to be "right on" in true skin tones and exposure.
    i sent some of these files to "shutterfly" recently and they came back with "red"skin tones and their "reds" tones were off. they developed these with "color enhancement" off [ since i had manipulated them in ps 6.0]. they now are doing a "test run" on a few with color enhancement "on" to see if i makes any difference, but the manager said he was 99% sure that it would only accentuate the "reds" more. both "shutterfly and winkflash" use the fuji frontier photo system and fuji archive paper. shutterfly {at least several years ago] used sRGB when i sent them adobeRGB 1998 files and their skin tones were "right on" then. but now my recent files came back with "red"skin tones.
    i've got 2600 [4x6] prints to be made and i don't want to "messup" anywhere along the way. i want prints that are "right on" in skin tones and exposure.
    please answer my 2nd question [of my initial thread]. can the resulting prints of sRGB and abobeRGB1998 be different [less pleasing] when the photo file and developing color space are not "matched"? also, is there a way to convert "multiple files" at a time from adobeRGB to sRGB?
    please advise-
    thank you-
    happy thanksgiving

tramp

It's my opinion that you should always send your print files in the same color space as the printer, or find another printer that prints in Adoboe RGB.

BUT, you can do a batch conversion in Photoshop to open - convert to - save & close. I've done this with my RGB files and I want to create web images.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

thanks everyone for your help. it is appreciated.

tramp

I have just ran atest with a image scanned in 48 bit color depth with adobe rgb colorspace and the same image scanned in 24 bit depth with sRGB color space. performed the same level adjustment in each and sent both to the Canon i 9900 printer. both prints look identical, exactly how appeared on the screen. I would say that if you are using an old monitor, you should be calibrating it with software for that purpose. But regardless of that, make sure your monitors gamma is set to 2.2 and color temperature to 6500K so that the prints should not be any darker or lighter than what you expect them to be.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information