Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 4x5 carry case

Mamiya Man

4x5 carry case

I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a carry case for a cambo 4x5 camera. I'm not going to be backpacking it accross yellowstone or anything. Just maybe a mile at most walking, i would like to use a field camera but I want the view camera movements for buildings in downtown chicago, i just like my camera. the plastic tote I keep it in now isn't going to cut it trying to transport it around.

Thanks,

magoo

Re: 4x5 carry case

A friend uses a small photo backpack to carry his 4x5 field camera, a couple of lenses, light meter, film holders, dark cloth, etc. The camera is pretty small when folded up. The backpack (can't remember which one) isn't any bigger than a standard bookbag.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what you'd really want to use. Lightware makes some photo briefcases - maybe this would work for you.

Mamiya Man

well, i was looking at a domke f1. I'm using a rail view camera. the rail is 18"long and I would like to keep my camera in one piece so I don't have to assemble it each time I want to use it.

thanks,
    Magoo

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magoo
    I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a carry case for a cambo 4x5 camera. I'm not going to be backpacking it accross yellowstone or anything. Just maybe a mile at most walking, i would like to use a field camera but I want the view camera movements for buildings in downtown chicago, i just like my camera. the plastic tote I keep it in now isn't going to cut it trying to transport it around.
    I was going to suggest a mule but... David Meunch uses a standard Lowe backpack that has those movable velcro separators. No problems.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Hmm... If it's a view camera (not a field camera) it's gonna be a challenge. You might want to take a look at Calumet on Cherry St. to see what they have for ideas.

Mamiya Man

well, I did a little ordering from calumet. picked up the 4x5 lightweight case for 179.00. and some odds and ends to start developing my 4x5 film. new tank, film, the tent, etc. should be here by friday I hope.

Thread Information