Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Ranter and raver.

4x5 film in a 3.25x4.25 camera

At an auction on Sunday, I picked up two Polaroid Land cameras. Well, they take 3.25 x 4.25 roll film that was discontinued a little over a decade ago. I grudgingly looked for ways to modify the camera to accept a different type of film, thinking that it was a lost cause.

But I found out that 4x5 sheet film fits perfectly. Of course, only 3.25x4.25 will be exposed.

So here is what I am thinking:

Shooting a few slides once the trees green up and flowers pop. Framing the slides and hanging them in the front window (facing West), where all of the light streams in in the afternoon.

Now for the questions:

Matted or unmatted? The slides will have a strip of unexposed section because of the smaller format. I was thinking of putting a matte over that space.

Who in the world developes these? I know I'll have to take a darkbag and light-tight box in the field, but what do I do once I get them home!?! I plan on devloping tray developing B&W negs.

Is aquiring a camera that you have to, basically, jerry rig your own format for a sign of mental illness, especially when you already have all of the lower formats covers?

Re: 4x5 film in a 3.25x4.25 camera

Quote Originally Posted by tijean
    Is aquiring a camera that you have to, basically, jerry rig your own format for a sign of mental illness, especially when you already have all of the lower formats covers?
    All of photography is a mental illness...

It will take a custom lab to work with sheet chromes, these guys do it but they're in Colorado. I've used them before because good E6 labs are getting harder to find. And if you have to mail-order it, it really doesn't matter if it's in the next town or across the country. If there's another pro lab you've dealt with, they will list it on their price sheet if they do it. If they're not sure why you're bringing in your film in a box and won't let them open it, then run - don't walk - out of there!

I've seen 4x5 chromes in a portfolio, and they're usually matted in black (more dramatic when it's on a light table). Light Impressions sells mats for this. My concern is that the sunlight would eventually destroy the film - maybe sooner than later.

Ranter and raver.

Thanks another_view! I am really excited about this whole semi-large format thing. Now I just have to figure out the best way to mail undeveloped 4x5 film.

I recently found a great site for LF photography. It has a nice little section on film developing. I would suggest you look at this one in particular:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

You might find it interesting. Maybe even informative . By the way, what kind of Polaroid Land camera? Good luck with the LF!!

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Ranter and raver.

Thanks Dzerzhinski! I have a 150 and a J66. The 150 is a very nice old metal folder and the J66 appears to be more mordern and plasticy (also a folder). They came with very nice cases and some very cool, but somewhat useless accessories, like flashbulbs and a Winklite that takes some very funky battery I will probably not be able to replicate. They even came with the instruction manuals, and the instruction manuals for all the accessories, which is very cool and actually pretty useful. Oh, and a light meter (Polaroid 625). It's nice to see there's a fellow Ilford fan floating around. Nicer still to see that I can get Delta 100 in 4x5 sheets!

Thread Information