Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc, what does it all mean???

Ok, I know that the numbers in the title are indicators of F-stops. I know that each stop corresponds to twice as much light or vice versa. However, why are the numbers such? What do the numbers signify? Do the actual numerical values have any significance? How were they derived?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Basically....

Basically, those numbers are ratios. If you look on the front of the lens, you'll see 1:2.8 for the max f-stop.

Here is something I just found, that might help.
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=0001Om

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Mathematically Speaking...

When dealing with a circle, area does not double when you double the radius. A circle with a radius of 1 has an area of pi. A circle with a radius of 2 has an area of 4pi. If you remember your little stint in Geometry from highschool, or even junior high, you will remember that the area of a circle= pi (radius)^2 . So, as you rightly remember, each of the succeding numbers represents a circle with double the area. 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc. These numbers are progressions of the square root of 2. (square root of two)^0 is 1, (square root of 2)^1 is square root of 2 (approx. 1.4), and so on and so on. So the area of the circle doubles as the square root of 2. That is where those funny numbers come from. Did that make sense?

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Re: 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc, what does it all mean???

HUH????? See what you did! Now I"M confused!

Re: Mathematically Speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    When dealing with a circle, area does not double when you double the radius. A circle with a radius of 1 has an area of pi. A circle with a radius of 2 has an area of 4pi. If you remember your little stint in Geometry from highschool, or even junior high, you will remember that the area of a circle= pi (radius)^2 . So, as you rightly remember, each of the succeding numbers represents a circle with double the area. 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc. These numbers are progressions of the square root of 2. (square root of two)^0 is 1, (square root of 2)^1 is square root of 2 (approx. 1.4), and so on and so on. So the area of the circle doubles as the square root of 2. That is where those funny numbers come from. Did that make sense?

Dzerzhinski
    Too many....numbers...brain...overloading...

I'm a History and Political Science major...I've only taken one math class in fiv...er, four, years of college, so I'll take your word for it...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Thread Information