Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Will I regret going digital?

I've got a couple 35mm film cameras (Canon AE-1 & Pentax K100) in the closest that I haven't used in about 5 years. I've always thought I might go back to film for "important" stuff, but they're just sitting in the closet growing old. The last time I used the Canon, I noticed the seals were going and it was starting to develop "the squeak". I'm considering selling my gear on ebay or craigslist so somebody gets some use out of them, but will I regret it someday?

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Re: Will I regret going digital?

Just keep the older stuff, might make money off of them some day.
    you can take 1000 pictures, look at them, and throw them away(delete) with out wasting film.
    No more lines to get film processed, only to pick up your prints if you send them out.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Film and digital both have advantages and disadvantages.
    I love digital for the same reason icicle does. I can shoot thousands of pics and keep the ones I like and also can edit them to my taste. Ugly power lines in beautiful shot....zap, they're gone.
    Unless you have your own darkroom and know how to edit film, I say go digital.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I don't think you'll regret it, unless you have a real love for certain films like Velvia or something. If you're in love with a film, you'll probably not reproduce it digitally to your satisfaction. Otherwise, digital is the way to go, and as time goes on there will be less and less support for film, making it harder and more expensive to keep it around.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Will you regret going digital? I dunno, it depends on what your expectations are.

As for selling the film bodies, they probably won't fetch a lot of money so it may not be worth your time. But if you haven't used them in 5 years, that should tell you how much they are worth to you. Meanwhile, digital has evolved a LOT during those 5 years.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks guys. I guess if there's not much of a resale market for the bodies and lenses, I'll put them in the back of the closet and forget about them. Maybe someday I'll run into somebody who's still into film and I can get rid of it some way.

It sounds like you've already gone digital and you're just debating whether or not you should sell your film camera. I suggest you buy a few rolls of what used to be your favorite film and go out shooting just for the sake of shooting. If it's not fun and you don't like the results, there you have it. I found that after I had a chance to practice with digital for a while, I enjoyed film a lot more, because I was better able to reap the benefits of film with out wasting a lot on mistakes. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but if you don't get anything out of using film, then that's your answer.

Paul

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Paul is right. We have quite a few film photographers here and I'm pretty sure most of them also shoot digital. If the cameras work, get some film. If you have a digital already, do some comparison shots.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I went digital from Film, and didn't regret it at all. In fact going digital made me appreciate film all the more.

I shoot both, and actually recently got more into medium format (120) film when I picked up a Lubitel 2.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I bought my first Nikon F 35mm in 1970 and used it up until about 3 years ago when I bought my first digital. It was a little questionable at first until I bought my first DSLR camera and now I hold on to my film camera due to all the memories I have from earlier times. My Nikon F 35mm sets proudly on the shelf and my Nikon D80 and D90 do all the work, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i still have my nikon f65 camera,i just love it,i was out shooting rapids with my nikon d50,on a tripod had a polarizer filter openned up to f22,aperature priority,and some of my shots couldn't stand up to my film camera that was set at f38 aperature priority and hand held,fast smooth crisp shots all in complete focus,thats why i was thinking of jumping to the nikon f6,but after developing costs and such, i'm happy to say my nikon D300 is seving me quite well,but the back up camera loaded with film is always with me.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    My Nikon F 35mm sets proudly on the shelf and my Nikon D80 and D90 do all the work, Jeff
    If I had a Nikon F, I would hold on to it, too.

Without reading the other replies as of yet, I'd say that if you don't need the money (you won't get much for those two nice cameras today), you should just hang onto them. If you haven't used film for 5 years, I have the feeling that you won't ever go back, the "important" stuff stuff handled just fine with your digital gear. Me, I still enjoy the whole film process, still enjoy the "look" of film, still love to use my Contax & Leica rangefinders, yet enjoy using my DSLR, as well.

I still prefer to use film but more importantly that of slide film. I knoow it better then all the variables that can wreck havoc on digital.
    Yes digital is cost effective, but what is the main purpose.. to make the best photo possible given the media and I feel that film still does that.
    Yes..I know and do still spend hours digitizing the film afterwards..do I know
    But it is my method whether any one likes it or not.
    It is all in shades of grey

Smile Re: Will I regret going digital?

Convenience has always won out over ultimate quality throughout the history of photography. Huge home-made wet glass plates led to store-bought dry plates which led to 8 x 10" sheet film which led to 4 x 5" sheet film which led to 2-1/4" roll film which led to 35mm which led to digital. As the years roll on the ultimate quality obtained in each smaller medium drops, while the average results obtained by everyone climbs. In 1860 only a few skilled artisans like my great-great-great grandfather in Scotland could coax any sort of an image at all from a plate camera while normal people couldn't even take photos at all. In 1940 normal people got fuzzy snaps from their Brownies and flashbulbs while artists got incredible results on 8 x 10" film. Today artists still mess with 4 x 5" cameras and normal people are getting the best photos they ever have on 3 MP digital cameras printed at the local photo lab.

trigger happy geriatric.

Film can still be useful. Get your prints and have them saved onto cd. Then you can edit the images as you would digital. OK it is more costly than digital, but still capable of great results. One thing I have noticed is that film is far more forgiving of highlights and images that digital would blow can still be capable of good results on negative film.

Dave

Thread Information