Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Quick question about Film ISO

Hi gang.

I've been into digital photography for a while now and am really getting the hang of it. (The mechanics atleast.)

So this week my sister gave me her old Canon Rebel EOS2000 film camera and I'm excited to get into the film side of things as well.

My question is about ISO. On my digital, as is with most digitals, the higher I set my ISO, the more noise I get in my photos. I was just wondering if the same is true for film? Does noise work the same for film or is that strictly a digital issue?

Thanks for the advice in advance! :thumbsup:
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: Quick question about Film ISO

With film the higher the ASA or ISO the more noise you will have. The digital should be able to go higher with less noise than the film camera will. What is called noise in a digital is called grain in the film world. As far as them working the same I would say no but as far as how it effects your pictures I would say they are very similar. You will probably get better and more detailed answers as more members reply. One of the big advantages of digital is that you can change the ISO on each and every shot to accommodate the shooting situation where as on film the entire roll of exposures will all have to be the same. When shooting film the film is what determines how much grain is in the picture and when shooting digital the camera is what determines the amount of noise you get, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Thanks Grandpaw, that makes a lot of sense.

I was just going to take it out for my first shoot and I wasn't sure what kind of ISO I would need. Like you said, with my digital I can just change it on the fly but the film requires me to plan much more in advance, that or carry around every ISO. So then I thought I would just get an all purpose like 400 or 800 and that's what got me wondering about noise.

Thanks again for the info.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

I would try some 400 first. I had a Rebel 2000 for awhile before I went digital. It certainly had a accurate meter. It really depends on what film you use as well as ISO that determines how much grain you get. Sometimes grain is a good thing.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Start off with "Drug Store" Film, Kodak Max ISO-400 or Fuji Superia 400 speed film.

If you're feeling adventurous go for Kodak Ektar 100 it's lovely.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

nice one....

Watch out for getting hooked on shooting film . You could be planning a darkroom soon.

Just for the heck of it, try some black and white too. Several companies, including Kodak, make B&W film that the local drugstore can process in their color chemicals. Look for "C41" on the carton.

Kodak Ektar is wonderful color film.

Have fun,

Phil

NSSA/AIPS

Yep second the B&W suggestion. I shoot primarily B&W in my F-5. I love TMAX and Ilford Delta in ISO 100 and 400. I also swear by Fuji Neopan ACROS 100. It'll push 2 stops with no issues as far as grain. So it will go ISO 200 easily and 400 fine. My hands down favorite was AGFA APX, may it Rest In Peace. Rollie makes an 80 ISO stock that is very comparable. Generally film stock with ISO ratings in the 100 range are finest grained. There are however some excellent ISO 400 film stocks out there. I have a great online source for unique and rare B&W tim stock if anyone would like it.
    In film we refer to this as latitude. It's the ability of a film stock to be over or under exposed and still render a usable image. NOTE is you push (under expose) or pull (overexpose) a film stock based on it's ISO rating you need to make sure your lab makes an appropriate adjustment to developing times. It's a science and an art. The general trade off when pushing film is a loss of contract. By comparison, pulling at least in B&W frequently adds contrast.
    A lot of this goes the window with slide or color print film stock as color stock usually has little latitude.

A note on C-41 processing. It's color chemistry on a substrate that renders B&W. As far as I know it's not traditional silver based B&W chemistry.

One last thing...

My best bet since I'm 6 hours away from the negative is that this is Ilford Delta 400 as rated. Traditional chemistry .
    Last edited by Chris350; 08-22-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: I had a further thought....
    It's not about the camera....

I've always tried to use tmax 100 as the grain quality is excellent. I set my light meter to ISO 64, because someone told me to do that but I'm not quite sure why! I've still never tried anything faster (400 +) as I was concerned with grain quality. Is this an unjust concern? Is there much difference in the grain quality between 100 & 400 ?

Thread Information