Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Thread: Old Mills

Old Mills

For the past month or so I've been doing a little shooting at some of the rundown mills in town. Not that happy with these but, oh well. On another site their Monthly Assignment was Deterioration and I submitted these. Thought while I was at it I would post them here just to show a little of what I've been working on. The loading dock shot is printed on Fotokemika Emaks Glossy Grade 2 FB paper and the doorway shot was printed on Slavich Unibrom Double Weight Glossy Grade 2 FB paper. Both were developed in Ilford Warmtone developer and toned in Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner 1+19.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Mills-05062008-1.jpg   Old Mills-05062008-2.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Old Mills

I kind of like the first one, not as a photograph, but as a print, because it almost gives the illusion of a warm toned print on one side of the door and a cold toned print on the other because of the newer bricks and lighting. The tones on the wood above the door in the first one are nice.

How do you like the Slavich? I have a pack of single weight fiber from them that feels like rc paper to me. The Emaks I know is very nice. I have some grade 3 from them that I love. Have you tried any of the Kentmere kentona? I think it would be great for that ghost wave negative...just a thought...I just ordered some of their Bromide, if it has anything close to the tonal sepparation of the kentona, I think it will be excellent.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

How's it going reverb? The Slavich Unibrom is okay. A few people told me elsewhere I should try the single weight too as it has a very different feel to it than the double weight. Honestly, I don't think I will buy this paper again though. I prefer a warm tone which the Unibrom does not have though could be worth trying with a cool tone developer? I've been liking their Bromportrait paper a lot with the exception of the embossing. The guys over at Freestyle said if I don't like the embossing I should check out Kentona so next order I'll probably pick some of that up a long with some more Emaks. What are you using for developer with the Kentona? I'm thinking next round I want to try some Formulary 106 Warm tone. So much to try, so little time and FUNDS...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I am mostly using different mixes of agfa G 101p, which is an A+B lith developer. I am getting to know this developer and like using it because I can do lith film at the same time. I generally use it in 1:6 to 1:13 dilutions depending if I am doing lith film. I also have used different quantities of the A and B powders which gives me an extra set of data I can forget to write down. Dektol is the only other paper developer that I use at the moment.

I have a negative that I will use today to do some posterization prints. I did some last night and need to expose another lith neg as the first one was developed in too weak a developer and is unable to give me the definition I need in the middle of the frame.
    Last edited by reverberation; 05-09-2008 at 06:48 AM.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Thread Information