Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Neopan 400 in D76

Here's a few shots from my most recent film test. Information is below. Hope you like them.

This is supposed to be an example of what we're talking about in this thread.

Paul

The wall outside my favorite pub (before I entered):

Callie, my girlfriend's insane kitten:

Film Name: Fuji Neopan 400
    Film Format: 35mm, 36 exp
    Actual EI: 400 ISO
    Contrast level: This is my first roll, but it seems to be good for mid contrast lighting while still holding a little shadow detail in high contrast lighting. Some of the shots taken in very high contrast lighting had blown highlights, but less exposure would have helped that.
    Presoak: Yes. Water, at 68 degrees, for about 30 seconds.
    Developer Name: D76
    Developer Dilution: 1 to 1
    Developer Temp. 68 degrees
    Developing Time: 9 min, 11 sec.
    Time Measurement Technique: From start of pour-in to start of pour-out...pouring as fast as possible.
    Tank Size: single roll, 35mm
    Tank Type: stainless steel
    Tank Fill Level: I try to leave a little air gap above the film to let the developer slosh around during agitation.
    Agitation Technique: 1 inversion (with quarter turn) per second, continuous for first 30 seconds, then 3 or 4 inversions in 5 seconds, every 30 seconds after.
    Stop Bath: Water. Fill, agitate for 30 secs, drain, refill, and agitate for another 30 seconds.
    Output: Film scanner.
    Subject Matter Comments: This combo produced results that are slightly less grainy than TriX. Good for street/urban shooting, but probably still too grainy for landscapes, at least in 35mm format.
    Notes for next time: The results from this roll have more contrast and less shadow detail than I get from TriX, but I typically expose TriX at 320 and develop slightly less. Next time I shoot this film, I will expose and process it the same way I do TriX, and I expect the differences I've observed will be diminished.

Re: Neopan 400 in D76

Looking good Paul One thing I have been noticing is that I get a marked increase in grain when I use HC-110 dil. B over dil. H. How was the grain with D76?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thanks, Aaron.

This roll of Neopan was pretty similar to Tri-X, but slightly less grainy. I'll try to post a close up crop later so you can see for yourself.

I don't know much about HC-110, but I think the general rule is that longer development times will increase graininess and sharpness, so higher dilutions would do the opposite. That's what they say about D76, at least.

Paul

CLICK HERE FOR NEOPAN 400 DATA SHEET
    CLICK HERE FOR D-76 DATA SHEET

*** Given times are for small tank development! Fuji recommends a 5% to 10% increase in developing time for large tanks ***

Here are the manufacturer's recommended times for this combo:

--------------------------18C/64F----------20C/68F----------22C/72F----------24C/75F----------26C/79F
    ISO250---------------------8-----------------6 1/2---------------5 1/4---------------4 1/4---------------3 1/2
    EI 400-------------------9 1/4---------------7 1/2---------------6 1/4-----------------5------------------4 1/4
    EI 800------------------10 3/4--------------8 3/4---------------7 1/4---------------5 3/4---------------4 3/4
    EI 1600----------------16 1/2-------------13 1/2-----------------11----------------9 1/4---------------7 3/4

---------------------------18C/64F----------20C/68F----------22C/72F----------24C/75F----------26C/79F
    ISO 250------------------7 3/4---------------6 1/2---------------5 1/2---------------4 1/2---------------3 3/4
    EI 400---------------------9 1/4---------------7 1/2---------------6 1/4---------------5 1/4---------------4 1/2
    EI 800--------------------11 1/2--------------9 1/2---------------7 3/4---------------6 1/2---------------5 1/2
    EI 1600------------------16 1/2-------------13 1/2------------- 11 1/2--------------9 1/2------------------8

For other film and developer combos, please visit the B&W Film/Developer Database Index
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    ...How was the grain with D76?
    Sorry I'm so slow getting back to you with the close up, but here it is. And, since you asked everyone else to post an unedited version, I figured I better do that too. The first two examples have some levels adjustments, desaturation, and sharpening, but these two are straight from the Coolscan at 4000dpi. Of course, one of them has been resized, but that's it.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neopan 400 in D76-callie-no-edit-640.jpg   Neopan 400 in D76-callie-no-edit-grain-640.jpg  

Thanks for the extra shots Paul Have you played around wit the Neopan or Acros anymore?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information