Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

video capture device not detected

I have a brand new JVC digital videocamera. There are basically no instructions in manual on how to import to PC, except hook us with supplied USB cable. Trouble is my XP PC can't see the video camera. So I receive message in MS Moviemaker, a video capture device was not detected.

I turn on videocamera, put it in play mode, and even play the video, but the XP PC doesn't seem to see it, however i can replace videocamera with regular digital camera and that works, so i connection is fine.

Thanks!!!

Glenn

Re: video capture device not detected

oh, one more thing, i don't have the memory chip, but that supposedly is only for taking and storing still pictures, my manual says i can still tranfer video to pc without.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Are you using a firewire card and cable, or trying to use the USB cable? You will need th firewire set up to bring in full motion video and audio. The USB is for streaming video and still photos only. Check out the ADS Pyro Basic card. It should also include a cable to hook up to it. Load the software first, turn off and install the card and then turn the whole thing back on. After Windows gets done loading and seeing the new card, plug the cable into the camera, then the PC and finally turn on the camera. Once the drivers are set and windows sees the camera, you should be good to go. If that doesn't work to to start/control panel/network connections. Right click on the 1394 adapter, left click on properties, click the advanced tab and make sure that you you have the firewall box clear. That might help a bit.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

>Are you using a firewire card and cable, or trying to use the USB cable?
    USB cable, I bought the thing at BestBuy, usually pretty good with tech help, told him what I wanted to do, never heard of this firewire, just minutes ago I read something else which made me start realizing this.
    >You will need th firewire set up to bring in full motion video and audio. The USB is for streaming video and still photos only.
    What is streaming video??? Do i need this ADS Pyro Basic card no matter what Digital Video Camera I buy, I thought they would have software just like a digital camera or whatever, but mine only has software for still photos, which i can't use because i didn't get memory card.

thanks, i'm working through this, terrible that manual DOESN'T explain any of this.

Glenn
    Scranton/Pa

thanks! I"m good, the idiot at Best Buy had all the time in the world to explain things to me and he didn't, so i had to make another run.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Streaming video is web-cam quality stuff that is not typically broadcast quality. It doesn't have the right 29.97 or 30 frames of resolution that is needed for full moving video. Yes you will need the firewire for anything but a DVD camera. When you take stills without a memory card, you are actually recording onto the tape.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

it's always something, the guys at the store where i bought my DVcamera, never told me i needed a firewire and card to use it with PC. But i got that set, i think.

Because now my problem is that i have my DVcamera connected to my computer, but when i open Moviemaker and click record, I get a staticy picture, in the viewer, and when i save and open, i see it is still full of static and distortion. Now what?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Did you do everything that is mentioned lower in this post, including waiting for the device drivers to load and checking the network connections to make sure that the firewire card is not firewalled or being used to share the network with?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

just got it, turns out i needed to have the videocamera plugged in to the outlet, not enough juice otherwise.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

cool stuff. Good luck with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information