Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: Sony Vegas?

Sony Vegas?

I saw that Poker is using Sony Vegas. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and having lots of trouble with it crashing. I'm sure my computer could be better and I am planning to upgrade soon. However, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Premiere Elements may not be the best designed software package. I'm wondering if Sony Vegas will use my processing and memory more efficiently and if it might be a better overall editing tool. Anyone have an opinion?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Sony Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I saw that Poker is using Sony Vegas. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and having lots of trouble with it crashing. I'm sure my computer could be better and I am planning to upgrade soon. However, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Premiere Elements may not be the best designed software package. I'm wondering if Sony Vegas will use my processing and memory more efficiently and if it might be a better overall editing tool. Anyone have an opinion?
    I don't have a current version but probably will soon because of resolution of my MacBook and AVCHD. It has always been good starting with original Sonic Foundry ownership, and it's still developed and supported in Madison, WI where you can communicate with the humans with clue department.

My pro version is ancient now and I've put a hand full of the "Studio" versions on PCs at my customer sites.

I really like Vegas for sound, where it's like their leading sound software and where you have compatibility and integration with their royalty-free loops.

Re: Sony Vegas?

From a broadcast perspective vegas is also ran software, with top poisition going to Final Cut and Avid, premier pro is probably next and then vegas and pinnacle, but having said that there are plenty of editors using it for commercial purposes. Personaly I prefer the adobe system (this is really a canon v nikon argument though) that is probably because I like the integration of the creative suit with apps like the media encoder (will let you export any video to any format) and encore dvd where you can use photoshop to edit or create your menus. Vegas is probably about as processor intensive as elements although you might find that element doesn't like your video card driver or something. I know nvidia has an adobe compliant driver you can download. Another issue with premier I have seen is that it doesn't like myob to be installed as they both use the .prm suffix. I have also seen it crash when using certain render cards whilst trying to display tittles. I have relatively recently switched to using after effects for my tittling as I find the animation templates really handy and the resolution seems to be better.

The other thing that I find annoying is the way keyframes etc are displayed in vegas. I find the timeline really messy, but I guess it is a step up from premier elements as that is even worse.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information