Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: 7D Video

7D Video

I put together a quick video from our family Easter gathering.

It was shot with the Canon 7D with a 24-70 f2.8 lens in 24p.

I didn't have a tripod because I didn't expect to shoot video. After realizing everyone was shoot stills, I decided to shoot vids but unfortunately it's jittery.

http://www.vimeo.com/10692506
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: 7D Video

Having a tripod would have helped, but it is a well contructed video. It would have been nice to see some establishing shots for the hidden eggs so we get more of a sense that they are hidden and it would have been nice to get both a wide shot and a close up of someone finding an egg. I know that with a family event like this, that isn't always possible.

Other than that I wish I could afford a 7d!
    incidentally if you are a gadget person the manfrotto modo steady might help with your moving camera shots and double as a lightweight tripod for events like this where you really don't need heavier gear.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thanks for commenting Skyman. That modo device looks appealing. I'll consider it if it supports the weight of my other gear. In the mean time, I should just leave a tripod in the car so I never am without one

I sold a couple camera bodies to get this 7D. I'm glad I did.

Oh and thanks for the story development advice. The only thing I staged was the scene of all the kids running out of the door. I look forward to my next opportunity to do this.....with a tripod next time of course.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I wish I could afford a 7d!
    How about a 550D? For video, it has the exact same functionality and performance, doesn't it?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The Modo Steady does look good. I think that might be something I can carry in the backpack for better ski and mountain bike video. I remember seeing it a couple of years ago at PMA but it didn't reallly interest me at the time. Does now, though

I like your video, Eric. The editing is great. I do agree that the camera shake is a distraction. An IS lens would definitely help with that but it's not really the right solution. Even with IS, camera shake is a problem with video. It smooths things out but doesn't actually eliminate the shake.

I'm not really sure about the processing you chose. I kept thinking the contrast was too low. And then I saw on your Vimeo page that you'd processed it that way on purpose. It might just be a matter of personal taste, but I wanted to see a bit more snap in the image quality. It got me thinking about the Canon Picture Styles. I think you can use them for video as well as stills. I might have to try that.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the input John. I'll be shooting this weekend. Hopefully I improve on the hand holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not really sure about the processing you chose. I kept thinking the contrast was too low. And then I saw on your Vimeo page that you'd processed it that way on purpose. It might just be a matter of personal taste, but I wanted to see a bit more snap in the image quality. It got me thinking about the Canon Picture Styles. I think you can use them for video as well as stills. I might have to try that.
    There are a lot of premade Picture Styles out on the Internet. I have yet to dabble in them but it's nice to know they're out there. I hear using the picture style software is a pain.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

PJ at the moment I can't afford a 550D, but it is on my wish list. I was hoping to convince work to buy me one but we are already behind with our budgets for this year....

I like Eric's processing. I don't think higher contrast would have been flattering to the subjects even if it would have made the flowers and eggs pop. This is difficult as nothing is worse than editing a video with different colour grades so I think he has made the right choice.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information