Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Arrow How to record public 1-on-1 interview

Two buddies and I will go out on a public, like the nearby shopping mall and will do random interviews. It will be an evangelism reachout, where we seek a person and ask them about their religion and teach them about christianity and all that good stuff.

I will take a lightweight tripod and my camcorder and 1 or 2 of the buddies will do the interview.

1) I've seen other videos online from christian website (forgot where) of their video recording of the interview. Do you normally ask the interviewee if you can record the interview first?

2) We have done the evangelism several times but this will be the first time with a camcorder. The video is to show our congregation and promote evangelism. How would you approach a person without intimidating them? We sure don't want people thinking we are soliciting them.

Thanks for your time.

Exclamation Re: How to record public 1-on-1 interview

Oh and if you happen to know or find a similar video online (public interview), please let me know. Thank you.

Re: How to record public 1-on-1 interview

Talk to a lawyer
    no seriously you will need one...
    I suspect the ethical approach to this sort of interview will not be appropriate for evangelisation, however i feel that to not follow "the rules" would be worse. basically anything goes as long as you get the person you interview to "release" the stuff you have recorded in a formal way. this requires a model release contract and a lawyer to write one for you. the best way to approach your interviewees however is by one person without the camera. get your producer to have a chat to them, explain who you are what you are doing and who will see the results. then ask permission to film them. at this point call your crew over. it helps if the person who got the permission does the interview but this is not essential. keep your crew as small as possible so as not to intimidate, and ask permission again at the end of proceedings to use the footage. it is rude not to give them an opt out after you have filmed (when you would be getting them to fill out the model release form) at this point get some contact info so you can show them the finished results (just a courtesy) good luck, oh and don't only film the interviews film some crowd shots and street scenes and other related footage like a person you have interviewed participating in a service. this footage should be used for "cover" to break the monotony of the interviews, oh and don't be afraid to shoot the same stuff from different angles as long as you ask the same questions it should edit together fine and improves the "watchability" of the film. good luck.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: How to record public 1-on-1 interview

Skyman nailed the important parts on the head. Check with your attorney and get a model release, let the people know exactly what you are doing, why and what it will be used for. You are not a bona-fied news crew, so you will have some problems in the US as to where you are allowed to tape. Keep in mind that Malls are technically private properties and you will need the permission of the owners or management firm to tape on their property. If you try to pull a fast one and tape without their acknowledgement, they can and will, with the blessing of local enforcement, remove you from the property.

Cool Re: How to record public 1-on-1 interview

I really appreciate your responses. I will look into obtaining a release form and informing my friend of all this.

Thread Information