Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    Beginner short film maker

help with sony handycam differences

hey all,

I've recentley decided that I'll probably be getting a Sony Handycam.

On the Sony Australia website, there are two cameras shown. The DCRTRV265 and the DCRTRV460. They are shown here
    http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/p...tegoryId=22122

From what I can tell (I'm new to the world of video cameras) the only real difference is that DCRTRV460 records as MPEGs, and the DCRTRV265 records onto tapes. There is a $200 AU price difference between the two.

I was going to get the 460, but saw that it only recorded at 320x240 resolution. I feel that this is far too small. Does anyone know if this resolution could be increased while keeping quality as much as possible?

The 265 records to tapes. If I was to get the tapes to play on computer, what resolution would I be able to have it at on computer?

Is the 460 worth the extra money? What special features would it have that I've missed? Is recording to MPEG better then recording to tapes?

Do you think Sony handycams are generally good/worth getting?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks heaps to anyone who is able to help out with these. It would be much appreciated.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    Do you still have 8 mm tapes that you need to watch. If not, I would stick to one of the MiniDV format camcorders. Both of the units you mention record to Digital 8. It will also playback the old 8mm format. The more expensive camera will also use a memory stick that will allow you to record short mpeg files to the stick and low res. digital stills. It is not as sharp, nor has the length of the digital tape format.

Check out some of your local pricing and compare it with those of www.bhphotovideo.com out of NYC. Even with shipping you might save a buck, although I can't really say for sure that you will. Who are your bigger photo discounters in the area? Someone has to have better deals than Sony direct.

Good luck,
    MJS

hey,

Thanks for replying. In truth, I don't know anything about MiniDV cameras. Do they record at better quality then Digital 8 ones? What do they record onto? (memory stick? tape?) and how long worth of footage can it record?

I've found cheaper places to buy the cameras from, a few of them offer the $899 camera for $770.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Be careful buying stuff, make sure you get Digital Cameras here in Australia as you might run into Warranty Issues. I know Canon don't honour warranties on Digital Cameras purchased from anywhere else, only those purchased in Australia.

Thanks for the advice, I will be purchasing from within Australia.

I found a site which gave me a lot of information about MiniDV, and the DCRHC15 (http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/p...tegoryId=22123 - It's on the list on the right hand side) seems best for my needs. Anyone got any dirt on this camera? I'm having troubles finding reviews.

Thanks again all, I think I'm almost ready to buy the camera.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    That seems to be a very nice camera. My intro students are shooting on the sony DCR-TRV19 and doing quite well with it. The MiniDV format has a slight edge on its Digital 8 brethren. Make sure that the computer that you will be editing on has a firewire connection on it so you can import the full moving audio and video signal. The USB cable is for importing the still images that you recorded on tape, or for hooking the camcorder up as a streaming web cam. The streaming web cam function does not have the same resolution cababilities as the firewire connection, but is it good enough for the web.

Good luck,
    MJS

Thank you very much for that information. I was recommended to get a program named 'Pinnacle Studio 9'. There's a few versions, one of them comes with the Firewire hardware for the computer, so i'll most likely get that as my editing software.

I'll probably be buying the camera soon, I've got a fairly good price on it. Thanks for all the help.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    Glad to hear it. Let me know how it goes. If you ever come to the states and come to the Miami area, shoot me an e-mail.

MJS

I've got the camera now. It's great. Exactly what I wanted. Haven't done much filming as I still need to get the programs and such to edit them on computer, so I've just been testing it out here and there to see how to get a good looking film.

One big thing I want to do is work out which types of lens or filters I should get for all different types of conditions. Anyone able to point me in the direction of a guide to the different kind of lens and filters for sony cameras? (explaining what the kinds are and when the best time/condition to use them is).

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Roma; 09-25-2004 at 01:28 AM.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    That's a tough one. With the Mini-cams you are really limited as to filters. I have a skylight filter on to protect the lens. I also almost always leave on the Sony Wide angle accessory lens. It allows me to get up close and personal. If you will be shooting sports or nature, oe of the telephotos might be necessary. Make sure that you understand the white balance settings and what they can do for you to get accurate color rendition. I would suggest waiting until you get used to the camera and see what you will be shooting. I would definitely stick with the optical lens, not the digital. When you go digital, you always increase the video noise, it just makes your images look grainy.

Thread Information