Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

help: Sony Handycam [trv350] auto shuts off

My sony handycam seems to auto shut off if I have it set on camera and I do not record after x amount of time (about 15 minutes or less). My question is, how do I stop this? I'm doing streaming video to my computer so their is no need to record to a tape, but i need my camera to stop shutting off. Thanks in advance.

Sony Digital Handycam model DCR-TRV350 NTSC

Beginner short film maker
    I've got the same problem with a sony handycam.. great camera, this seems to be my only problem. I use it as a webcam, but unless I press a few buttons every ten minutes or so it turns itself off mid-stream.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    Usually the camera will stay on if you take the tape out. With a cassette loaded, the tape is always pulled out and wrapped around the rotating video heads, when you leave the camera on and in standby without recording, you are placing undue stress on the tape and mechanism. Sony shuts down at that point and partially retracts the loaded tape to protect both the camera and your tape. Of course, if you don't have a cassette loaded, then all of this is for nothing.

Are you running XP or a different window's platform. Once you're camera is connected and the drivers are loaded, you might need to go into control panel/system/hardware manager and see if the camera is listed. If so, check the properties and look for an advanced tab. The power settings may be set for windows to turn off the device and a certain amount of idle time. This happens quite a bit with an external wireless network device that we have. Deselect the box and give it a shot.

Good Luck.

I will give the no tape a shot and see if that will work. Yes, I am using XP, but it does this even without it plugged into the computer (i wanted to test to see if the computer was the reason.) I will however also give that a shot and reply with my results. Thanks again.

that worked -=]. Thanks man. Quick question: you know where to buy a factory charger so I dont have to keep using batteries when im streaming (i can just plug the charger right to the camera?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    I'm surprised that the camera didn't come with an AC adaptor cord and DC cord. Usually the one supplied, that plugs into the camera will power the cam on AC, charge the battery while attached or both. If that doesn't work. look for an online Sony reseller and find the spare 2 battery charger that Sony makes. I just had the sports department purchase one of the new HD series of MiniDV cams and the extra Sony dual station charger. Unfortunately the model number escapes me. Unlike generic units that just charge the battery, the Sony product also came with a switch and cord to run the camera. Costs extra, but gets the job done. We make all our purchases for my department at www.bhphotovideo.com. They always treat us professionally and have great customer service. Their prices aren't too shabby either. And no, I don't have a family member working there or owning the place.

Good luck, I'm glad that I could help.
    Michael

Thanks. The original one that came with it did, but I lost it in jamaica =[.

Thread Information